Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Both the oven and stove on my Amana self cleaning oven (m/n

ARTC8621WW) frequently won't heat....
Both the oven and stove on my Amana self cleaning oven (m/n ARTC8621WW) frequently won't heat. If I cycle power to the oven with the breaker the problem is fixed ... until next time. Note that the stove clock is on, so it's getting power, i.e. the breaker hasn't tripped.
9/1/2012
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

What happens when you try to set the oven when it's not working? Does the display act like the oven is trying to heat?

Yes, it acts like its trying to heat. For example, it lets me set the baking temperature, then indicates the temperature of the oven, which of course never increases from the minimum display of 170 degrees.

OK perfect, thank you. So either you have a faulty display control board which is just not functioning properly, or you're losing power to the oven and resetting the breaker is re-sending 240 volts to the oven (sometimes you just get 120 volts which will make the display light up but won't heat anything).

The next time it acts up, you need to actually test power to the oven itself. If you're not getting 240 volts, then something is going on with the breaker and it may need to be replaced. If you ARE getting 240 volts, then you'll need to replace the control board which is about $300.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Does the display control board determine when power is applied to the heating elements? It sounds like it just operates the dispaly, not the heating.

It controls everything actually. It's sort of like a mother board. It tells the relay board what elements to heat and when. The relay board is just a "slave" and doesn't actually have a brain. It just does what the display board tells it to do.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc