Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

My Kenmore upright, 16 cu ft freezer, doesnt shut off. I just

My Kenmore upright, 16 cu ft freezer, doesn't shut off. I just recently purchased the almost 20 year old unit. I put a few piece of meat and several containers of water to check its freezing abilities. Everything I put into it is hard a a rock so apparently the compressor is working.

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Look around and usually up near the top for model/serial sticker and post the model number. I need the model to be able to see the diagrams. Space out the numbers please. If you cannot find it let me know. I realize its 20 years old.

Thanks,
Barry

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Barry,

Kenmore, 1992 vintage, model(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Rich

Thats it, thanks Rich. Give me just a couple of minutes to take a look.

Barry
Yes you are right, the hissing noise is the air valves in the bottom of the door. That happens normally when the freezer is operating at normal temperature. Also all of the shelves should be lightly coated white with frost. If they are the temperature control is bad and will need to be replace. I have arrowed that part red in the diagram below. Its the part behind the adjustment knob. Be sure when you replace that part you have the freezer UNPLUGGED from the power outlet. That part always has electricity present.

I have linked the part below, there is a year warranty on the part and a no questions asked return policy.

www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Oven-Thermostat/216023100/443695?replacedManufacturerPartNumber=216023000?RCAID=1000064

If you have questions about my answer please click the "Reply To Link" arrowed in the picture below. I will be happy to explain anything that is not clear.

Also if you decide to give me a rating and have a problem doing that please let me know.

Thanks,
Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Barry,

The thermostat that you recommended is labeled an oven thermostat. Usually ovens are 220v and different temperature and current range. Are you sure this is the correct part ?

Is this thermostat the unit with the tubing that goes up to a shelf ? Are there any tricks on taking the plastic casing and panels off? Or replacing the unit itself?

Rich

What about that. That is a typo. That is a cooling thermostat I can tell by looking at it. I did not read the heading on the page, I look at the diagrams and find the associated part number then find it that way.

Yes the thermostat is the part with the tubing that has a slotted holder for the tubing. What you should probably do is take that part along with your model number to an appliance parts store locally, there could be a mistake in the parts lookup.

Remove the screw from the knob, then remove the 2 screws under that and that will get you to the part. Its not diffcult.

Again if you have questions please ask.

Barry