Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service
40730774

The machine filled with water, when it was supposed to spin,

The machine filled with water, when it was supposed to spin, it made an awful grating noise (like a nut/bolt had fallen and was grinding against something), and then quit. Tried to advance to the next spin cycle with no results. Could smell electrical burning smell. The dial that goes thru the wash/rinse/spin cycles sounded like the timer wasn't quite right for some time now - but nothing like what it did this time.
Hi there. Please provide your model and serial number so I can see exactly which Maytag you own. Then we can proceed from there :)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can't reach those - I have no way to climb up on the lid to see back there.
I see. Unfortunately there are hundreds of different model Maytags made over the years. This information is vital for me to help you. Would you be able to ask a friend to help you get it, then reply later, or tomorrow? How old is this unit too?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I found the book that came with it. It says PAVT-1 on the book. The machine is about 6-7 years old.

Ok, that helps a little bit. It's a Performa washer...

It sounds like the pump has probably locked up on the unit. Hence, no spin with a burning smell. The motor drives the belt which also drives the pump pulley and main transmission drive pulley. If you can tilt the machine back 20 degrees, you can grab the belt and try pulling on it to rotate the pulleys. If it is hard to turn, or won't turn at all, the pump is most likely locked up. The grinding noise is very indicative of a failed pump on these models. It was a very popular failure.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Seeing as how I'm not able to do any of that good stuff, is it probably just as smart to go look at a new washer? I'm 55, short and disabled. Hard to do some things! ;)

lol Well, I'm not particularly tall either. It's helpful sometimes for me while I'm working on appliances, but an issue in some instances. Based on your description, I feel you probably either have a locked up pump pulley, or an object has gotten in. The burning smell is a sign that the belt is slipping. If anyone you know can help, it may be worth repairing. I wish I could help you more, but I'm here behind a computer just assisting my customers with professional advice. If you decide to move forward with the repair or more troubleshooting, you can reply back to this question free. See if a family member or friend/ neighbor might be able to assist you. If you decide to shop new, I like front loaders if you're disabled. Everything is reachable then :)