Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

When I came home around 4:30 pm today I noticed the refrigerator

was louder than usual...
When I came home around 4:30 pm today I noticed the refrigerator was louder than usual but no problems otherwise. I left and came back 2 hours later and the freezer was defrosting and water running down to the floor. I emptied the freezer and turned the temp down on both freezer and refrigerator. Suggestions?
9/1/2012
Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician
Hi there. Thanks for your question. I'll require your FULL model and FULL serial number to assist you. Are you hearing any buzzing noises or humming noises lasting 15 to 20 seconds every few minutes?

PTB1953GRQ

13290798ZW

No buzzing noises. The refrigerator is not loud at this time although when I open the freezer it sounds louder than I remember it sounding in past. It is still dripping water.

Very good, thank you. I'd like you to physically touch the rear wall of the freezer beside the air tower. Drag your fingers across that panel. Do you have frost or ice crystals forming on that panel?

No ice or frost

Ok thanks. The fan in the freezer is running? You should feel air blowing out of the air tower. If so, close your freezer door and reach back to the rear of the control box in the refrigerator section. There are some air ducts back there. You should feel a light breeze of air coming from there as well.

yes - air blowing out of both areas

Ok, that's good. There is one more fan we need to ensure is running. It is located in the rear bottom section behind the refrigerator. You'll need to pull it out to access it. Remove the little rear panel back there. The screws are 1/4 " usually. Ensure that fan is running. If it is, let me know, but stall it with the palm of your hand. With it stalled, place your hand on top of the compressor (large black circular piece) and let me know if that is lightly vibrating, OR if it is not vibrating, but extremely hot.

Whoa - ok - that's going to take me a little while.

No problem, I'll be around. I need to determine if the condenser fan is running, and also if the compressor is running. Sorry, but these steps are necessary.
As a side note to you, this may be covered by a recall and free repair if the compressor is not running. They recalled some of these due to fire potential from the compressor relay. When you're ready, let me know what you find.

did you get my last response? fan is running and compressor is hot.

Ok, stall the fan. Use an oven mitt, place your hand on top of the compressor in the mitt... it should be vibrating. Also, ensure the room is quiet and listen for five or ten minutes for a light hum and a click. Your unit is under recall, you'll want to get that fixed. Check the model and serial tag for a little green dot sticker. If that isn't there, your recall fix has not been done. They were recalled for fire hazard. The number to call to get the manufacturer to fix this is

1-877-329-3304

I'm suspecting the compressor relay is bad. That's what is going to be replaced with the recall repair. I'll need to know if the thing is running though. If it's exceptionally hot, that might suggest that relay has failed.

I did not feel vibration but after 5 minutes heard slight click

no recall sticker

Ok, call that number I provided. The click is the overload tripping out. Your relay is bad. It is EXCEPTIONALLY important you get this repaired by the manufacturer. It will be 100% free. There is nothing you can do right now. Relocate your food if you can... neighbor, cooler... keep the unit closed tight if you have no options. UNPLUG your refrigerator. This is a fire hazard. That is why they were recalled.

Thanks so much - do you think that is a 24/7 number for recall?

It should be Maggie. Your model prefix PT and serial suffix ZW signify yours is part of this recall. The recall includes a revised overload and compressor relay. If the compressor is determined to be bad too, that'll be replaced free as well. Call the number tonight if possible. Tell them you have a recalled refrigerator and they'll get someone to you.
Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician
Maggie,

It's Justin with Just Answer. Just want to check up with you to see if you got the refrigerator repaired or if you're in the process. I hope all is well.

Justin

Authorized Maytag repair service is scheduled for today 9/5/12. FYI - not all refrigerators with the same product/serial numbers are covered. I had to also check the compressor id info.

Per the repairman - has to read Embraco with model prefixes starting with: EGY, EGZ or EGU. Luckily this one starts with EGU so the recall repair will be no charge.

Yes, not every single one is covered, you're right. But almost all the ones on that bulletin list are covered. The EGU compressor was one of the most common ones used in that time period (2000).

Relay was repaired (NC) and refrigerator is back in business. Thank you for your help.

No problem. Glad it was free and thrilled you're satisfied. Take care Maggie :)
Justin
Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician