Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair
14958677

Dishwasher model HDA150X-73AW. Purchased new 10-15 years ago.

Dishwasher model HDA150X-73AW. Purchased new 10-15 years ago. Has always worked well; however, for the past 2-3 months has made a grinding noise while running, but nonetheless cleans and drys just fine. Yesterday we started it, and after a short while it stopped. We opened the door and there was some water in the bottom of the tub. When we tried to start the machine, it emitted an electronic humming, but would not start. I disconnected the drain line and blew air into it, and the air came out in the bottom of the tub, so I do not think that the drain line it clogged. Any ideas?
Welcome..I have 23 years of Experience In the Appliance Repair Field..Working directly with All Major Appliance Brands...This washer uses the same pump for both the wash cycle and the drain cycle..From what you are explaining either the pump has failed or there is something stuck in the pump[p keeping it from rotating..Remove the bottom front kick plate and see if the motor is hot to the touch..To check for blockage to the pump...You will need to break the washer down from the inside to the pump//Or remove the washer then remove the pump..At 15 years old..Most likely the motor is faulty...But check for blockage first..Thanks Bob
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Then it is most likely 1 of 2 things: motor or pump. If it is the pump then it may be because of total pump failure, or it may merely be a blockage in the pump.

You say to check to see if the motor is hot. I assume you mean that I should turn the machine on for a minute or 2 and see if the motor heats up. If it does, is that usually a good indicator that the motor has failed? If so, then if I pull the machine out from under the counter top, will that allow me access to the motor in order to remove and replace it, or will I have to break the machine down from the inside?

If it does not appear to be the motor, then if I pull the machine out from under the counter top, will that allow me access to the pump in order to check for blockage and/or to remove and replace it? Will the blockage simply be debris of some sort?

The motor and the pump are one..Yes it is possible there might some glass Etc..Stuck down from the inside of the washer..The smell you witnessed is most likely from the motor..Best thing to do is first break it down from the inside..Check for broken glass etc...If ok..Then yes you will need to remove the unit from the cabinet..Tilt it back..Then check the motor..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am pretty good with my hands and and somewhat mechanically inclined, but I do not know how to break the machine down from the inside. Is there an online diagram or something that shows me how to do it? Will it be pretty obvious how to break the machine down from the inside? Are there a lot gaskets and things that I will need to remove and replace?

ok great then you should be able to do the repairs..Here is a complete diagram and list of parts for this washer..Keep in mind the money you will spend to repair in parts..Compared to the cost of new...At 15 years old..If it were mine i would look towards replacing.That is if what you have is a major problem (Pump Kit Etc.)once you break it down.