Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

my Kenmore dryer drum stopped turning. I hear the motor but

my Kenmore dryer drum stopped turning. I hear the motor but it does not turn. When I checked the belt it was intact. If I push the on button and push the drum it will start to rotate. How can I determine if it is the idler pulley assembly or the wheel without dissembling it more ?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker just inside the door way.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

11064672400

OK so there isn't going to be a way to determine if you have a bad motor or if the belt isn't routed properly (fallen off the idler pulley or motor pulley and riding on the shaft) without taking the dryer apart. That being said, I have a great little video that will show you how to take the dryer apart so that you can check to see if the belt is routed properly. If so, then replace the motor, otherwise just route the belt properly and you should be good to go again.

CLICK HERE

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I just checked the video. When I open up the dryer, what should I look for re: the drum wheels. would there be some sort of wear? When I push the start button, I hear the motor and if I push on the drum I can get it to start spinning so I don't think its the motor.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
,

I just checked the video. When I open up the dryer, what should I look for re: the drum wheels. would there be some sort of wear?  When I push the start button, I hear the motor and if I push on the drum I can get it to start spinning so I don't think its the motor.

That's where you're wrong. The motor can still be the problem if the start winding on the motor has failed and only the run winding is getting power.

As for what you're looking for, you're just looking to see if the belt isn't routed properly. If the drum rollers or idler pulley were actually worn down, the drum would stop again after you had started it up turning it by hand.