Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My Maytag Epic washer is leaking out the bottom of the door

and profusely from the laundary...
My Maytag Epic washer is leaking out the bottom of the door and profusely from the laundary detergent container. Gray rubber seal looks good. What is going on?
8/26/2012
Randy
Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you. Okay do you happen to have the model number of your washer?

MFW9800TQD

Hello and good day,I just got on so I am pulling up your info right now.
Okay, is this washer stacked meaning is the dryer on top of the washer?

no

side by side

Okay, this tends to be a common problem with front loaders if not paying attention.You need to take off the top of the washer and then find the hose the goes from the detergent compartment to the top of the drum. You need to check that hose for a clog such as a bottle top or a sock or a barbie doll. Just a few things I have found stuck in the hose. If that hose gets clogged as water comes in the dispenser it will start to overflow and come out of the dispenser and run down coming out of the door also. Let me know what you find.

ok

If nothing is in there then we will go further.

Nothing is in there

Are you there? I responded 30' ago. There was nothing in the hose from the detergent compartment to the top of the drum.

What next?

Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician
I'd like you to open the door, looking at the rubber seal like a clock face, go up to the TEN o'clock position. Pull the seal back from the outer tub slightly and see if you have a small item of laundry stuck there.
Please understand, the other expert opted out so the question would open to other experts. Any feedback you leave will be directed to me now. Awaiting your findings. He was right to advise you to possibly check that hose. Sometimes a the vent cap from a detergent bottle will go into the dispenser accidentally and block the hose. Other times, there is just a piece of laundry, like a wash cloth or small sock stuck at the ten o'clock position as I'm suggesting.

Nothing there. At the 10:00 position, there is some type of flange which enters through the rubber gasket into the tub. Is there some type of baffle which is supposed to prevent water from flowing retrograde through this flange?

No. If water is pouring out your dispenser, you have a clog in the dispenser or dispenser to tub hose, or there is an object stuck where I suggested. If you take the spring clamp off the door seal at the front of the machine. Spring is at the 6 o'clock position. You may gain better access to that tube by pulling the seal away from the panel on the left side.

Any tricks to removing the spring clamp and reinstalling before I start?

Pry it off at the bottom where the spring is with a flat head screwdriver. We are only pulling the front clamp off the boot. Put it back on starting at the top and work it down on both sides. Hand spring clamps or another person helping is useful. The last few inches going back on is a pain. The rubber just fits in a flange at the front. The clamp is a bit of a nuisance, but it just takes a little patience. If you have trouble, I made a YouTube video replacing a door lock which I can get you the link to if needed.

Found a white cardboard tab, from the inside of a detergent cap, in the water in entrance of the detergent dispenser. It blended in perfectly. I had previously looked at the dispenser about 10 times and never saw it. But I was focusing on the water out section, where the tube connects to the tub.

All set. Thx

Glad that you found it. I was sure there was something in there. It's really the only thing that causes that condition beside the object stuck at the 10 o'clock position I also suggested. Congrats on the repair :)
Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician
Justin
Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician