Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I love my ten year old, front loading Neptune washing machine,

but today when I push...
I love my ten year old, front loading Neptune washing machine, but today when I push the start button it turns off within a few seconds. I've tried adjusting the position of the arrow a bit, but the light goes on and starts but then both stop. Also, pulled the main plug out, waited a few seconds and plugged it back in. Nothing. Help, can't afford a new one as now on a small fixed income. Would appreciate any help you can give.
8/18/2012
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

can you get us the full model number ?

Couldn't find it on the machine without moving it, however, on my old service contract it has: MAH5500AWW under Model/Serial

Perfect that's it! Okay when you start this machine does the door lock and the door lock light on the dash light up? Do you hear any water entering the machine at the beginning of the cycle?

When I start it, the on light does go on, the water goes in for just a few seconds and then stops. The door light doesn't even go on, but previously, usually it did go on a minute or two after the water is running. But now it didn't go on. I checked the door and the door hinge and it seems ok.

Okay, what I need you to do is open the control panel at the top where you controls are. There are screws along the top of the panel unplug the machine and remove the screws then tip the whole control panel forward and you going to take a look at the main control board, see if there is burnt diodes on the board, looking from the left side of this picture where the second plug connector is at the bottom just above that you will see a blue diode just above that look for burnt diodes tell me if you see any.

I don't see anything 'burnt'.

Okay, if you advanced this to spin does the door lock in does it go to spin or not?

I did try spinning to let the rest of the water out - after taking out the wet clothes, however don't recall lights on. In addition, I moved my computer to the laundry room and the pic of the control unit would scare anyone away. (-: THOUGH, if burnt means dark then I may have found something. Comparing the pic and mine, above the plastic box on the left bottom side, above it the pic has 2 orange 2 black 2 blue and a blue cylander and mine is black. Does that mean anything?

graphic

Where the arrow is pointed, that seems to look just like the pic.

so thats were they look black ?

No. They look the same color.

The black one I mentioned previously is - on the first pic, facing the panel, above the plastic white box in the lower left corner of the panel- right above the right hand corner.. that seems to be the only difference.

Okay you're talking about with this red arrow is pointed ?graphic

Yes. Though it looks just like a couple of others on the panel.

I'm sorry I had a small computer glitch, all right my guess is your board is fine and the problem is most likely the door lock assembly, since the doors not locking the machine will shut down and stop filling, when this machine starts water starts to go in while the door lock assembly is locking, if the door lock is not lock it. The machine and shut down. The real problem is they are listing this part is no longer available. The only way to repair it would be to replace individual parts in the door lock assembly such as the wax motor assembly and the switch, this can be difficult and you may want to call a service tech to do this unfortunately, unless you are really handy you should have this looked at by a technician. I wish I had better news for you. the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you. thank you and best wishes , Bryan

You have been most helpful and patient. I just want you to know that you made my day anyway. You have given this 73+ widow lady an attitude that made me feel like I can try just about anything. Thanks. If you can send me the smily faces again I will give you an excellent.

I'm glad I was able to assist you. very best wishes and thank you, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician