Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a #MFF2558VEW Maytag _ Ice buildup in bottom of the

Customer Question
freezer. When defrost have water...
I have a #MFF2558VEW Maytag _ Ice buildup in bottom of the freezer. When defrost have water on floor. This happens about ever 2 Wks.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Appliance
8/1/2012
Appliance Technician: Barry G., Home Appliance Technician replied 5 years ago
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Hello my name is Barry, thank you for choosing our service.

Your defrost drain is clogged. Your defrost drain is behind the rear wall of the "inside" of the freezer. Its a dime sized hole behind that wall and is also below the cold coils inside and behind that rear freezer wall. Once every 8 to 10 hours the refrigerator goes into defrost, the frost from those coils go right down that drain and because its clogged its running out onto the inside freezer floor.

DRAWER
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Open drawer to fully open position.
2. Remove upper basket.
3. Remove screws one in each rail marked on side of
rail.
4. Lift front of drawer up and out to remove drawer.
Drawer Rails
1. Remove screws inside plastic rail retainer.
2. Remove rails from retainer by depressing plastic tabs
on back side of retainer.
3. Slide rails off of retainer.

Rack and Pinion Gear
1. Remove drawer assembly.
2. Extend drawer rails to full open position,remove rails
from retainer by depressing plastic tabs on back side
of retainer.
3. Slide rails, rack and pinion gear off of retainer.
4. Reverse procedure to reassemble.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have an ice maker that will need to be removed. There are usually 2 1/4 inch screws over the top of the ice maker and one underneath. Take those out and then follow the wire harness back to the rear inside wall and cut the zip tie if its there then unlock and pull to get the ice maker out.

Remove the parts with the red arrows in the diagram below.

Behind those parts is the evaporator coil that defrosts about every 10 hours. The drain for the defrost is in the floor directly under those coils, its just about the size of a dime. Dig out all the ice and clear that hole.

Once you get that done pour a little warm water down it to be sure its clear. If its not clear find something flexible and push down through it a couple of inches.

Go around behind your refrigerator and remove the lower panel then find the tube that comes out just over the drain pan. If there is a small amount of water in that pan you will be done. The water that drains into that pan evaporates.

That will take care of it.

If you have questions about my answer please click the "Reply To Link" arrowed in the picture below. I will be happy to explain anything that is not clear.

Also if you decide to give me a rating and have a problem doing that please let me know.

Thanks,
Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE

I want speak with Brian G!

Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 5 years ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

I see Barry G has opted out of the question /

I can assist you if you would like

Master Tech
Master Tech