The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

I OWN A FRIGIDAIRE MODEL FRT15G4BW7 FRIDGE. IT HAS BEEN STORED

I OWN A FRIGIDAIRE MODEL FRT15G4BW7 FRIDGE. IT HAS BEEN STORED FOR 5 YEARS AND NOW IT WON'T GET COLD. CAN YOU HELP
Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.
Is the compressor running? How about the fan in the freezer?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I CAN HEAR SOMETHING BUT IT IS VERY QUIET. I COULD ALSO HEAR LIQUID GURGLING

Ok try this for me. Pull the unit away from the wall so you can access the back of it. Unplug the unit for 30 seconds. Plug it back in and at the lower back of the unit is a black oval shaped thing about a little bit smaller than a basketball. That is the compressor. Feel it and see if it is vibrating. It should start to do that within a minuet of plugging it back in.

Listen for any clicks too.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
YES THE COMPRESSOR IS RUNNING, I DIDN'T HEAR ANY CLICKING

Ok. Thank you.

If the compressor is running but the unit is not cooling you have a refrigerant issue.

When a unit is left for that long without being operated the seals tend to dry out. That allows the refrigerant to leak out and you have what you have now.

There is a tiny bit of oil in th eunits that is circulated with the gas that keeps the seals moist. If the unit is not operated for a long period of time the oil is not there to do its job.

You will need to contact a service that is licensed to handle refrigerants.

I am sorry but this is not a DIY repair.

Thank you for trusting me with your problems.

Please select a POSITIVE RATING (Ok Service or better) and a bonus is appreciated. This

is how your professional receives credit for their time. If for any reason the rating box is not visible, or you are

unable to enter a rating, please let your professional know.

This is ment to be a running dialogue, and for this reason it is very IMPORTANT that you reply using the

REPLY TO EXPERT tab if more information is needed at any time

BEFORE rating.

Please remember to ONLY rate an answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to rate Poor or Bad

Service, please STOP and reply to your professional via the REPLY TO EXERT tab with the issue you have. They will be happy to continue further and do everything they can to provide you with the service you seek.