Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

amana refrigerator seems to work intermittently. What is

amana refrigerator seems to work intermittently. What is happening?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

It's possible that several things can cause this issue including a bad compressor, an evaporator fan motor that is going out, a bad thermostat, or a bad defrost timer. The key is to check it when it has failed. If the unit is 100% silent, then either your thermostat or defrost timer is failing and needs to be replaced. If the compressor is still running but the fan inside the freezer doesn't run, then that means your evaporator fan motor is stalling and needs to be replaced. And if all the fans are running but the compressor is blazing hot, then you'd need to replace the compressor because it's stalling sometimes.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It went silent after running and getting cold for about 3.5 hrs. How can I check which one has failed? The defrost timer or the thermostat. It's an. Amana sxd26ve about 14 yrs old.
You'd need to remove the thermostat and test continuity through the thermostat. There are 2 wires that go to the thermostat and you should have continuity through the 2 terminals on the thermostat. If you don't, then the thermostat needs to be replaced, otherwise you'd need to replace your defrost timer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I would like the issue resolved before I give a rating. The frig kicked in again after about 40 mins. That makes me think it is not the thermostat, which leaves me to test/ replace the defrost timer. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the frig kicked in again after about 40 mins. Does that validate that it is the defrost timer?

Yes, that sounds like it may have gone into a normal defrost cycle because the defrost cycle lasts 45 minutes. That may have not been a problem at all---just keep watching it and see what happens again. The refrigerator is designed to go into defrost for 45 minutes every 8 hours.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It stopped cooling again. After replacing the defrost timer and turning on it is still not working. The motors are running, ....The compressor is not hot, What is it?

If the motors are running but the compressor is off, you have an issue with the compressor itself or the overload relay. Pull the refrigerator forward and unplug the refrigerator. Remove the lower back access panel and locate your large black round compressor. There is a small plastic box attached to the side of the compressor with several wires going into it. This is your overload relay. Pull the overload relay off the compressor and shake it. If it rattles, then it needs to be replaced. If it doesn't rattle, then you likely have a bad compressor and you'll need to call a technician in order to replace the compressor.