Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Refrigerator: GE pts25sbmarbs serial #: df302613 The freezer

Customer Question
Refrigerator: GE pts25sbmarbs serial...
Refrigerator: GE pts25sbmarbs serial #: df302613
The freezer is warming up. A month ago I had the same problem and replaced the defrost thermostat. It's worked all this time. Now it's getting warmer again. Time to get a new refrigerator?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Appliance
8/1/2012
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 5 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If after a month everything warmed up, then the issue never got fixed. The refrigerator takes about 3-4 weeks to build up enough frost to stop the air from flowing properly. This sounds like a common issue and it means that your unit is not longer defrosting in the freezer so the refrigerator is not able to steal air to cool down. You'll need to either unplug the unit for 24 hours or remove everything of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer to defrost it with a hair dryer. Once all the frost is thawed out, the unit will start working again. To make sure the problem doesn't come back, you'll want to replace the defrost heater. GE's defrost heaters fail often because they are nothing more than a long glass light bulb. Order and replace the defrost heater at the bottom of all the frost and you should be good to go. Below is a link to the defrost heater you'll want to order and replace.

CLICK HERE

Now I did want to point out that there are a few other possibilities like the defrost timer/control board or the defrost sensor, but these rarely fail on this model and there is no way to test the heater for certain to know if it's good or not. The reason is because that the heater is glass and can get water inside of it when it fails so it will show good continuity even when it's bad sometimes. That's why the best course of action is to replace the heater since it's by far the most common problem. Also, if you happen to remove the back panel and the coils aren't packed with frost, then that would mean the fan above the coils is likely not running which will generate the same symptoms. You'll need to order and replace the evaporator fan motor if this is the case.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
expert said it freezer takes a month to frost up after defrost; it took 4 days the first time.
The time in which it takes to frost up the refrigerator can change. It all depends on how often the doors are opened and how much moisture is left in the freezer after you defrost it. The point is that the problem was never fixed yet if the problem came back in about a month.
I do not receive credit for helping you if you do not choose one of the top 3 ratings, so is there anything else I can help you with today to possibly improve your rating? I'm not sure why you gave me a bad rating but I can not control the problems your refrigerator gets, I can only tell you what needs to be done to fix the problem.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc