gst85
gst85, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  i have over 15 yrs experience in home appliance repairs and installs
51919146

I have a GE GFSS6KKYSS french door refrigerator with freezer

I have a GE GFSS6KKYSS french door refrigerator with freezer on the bottom. It has been working fine and today I looked at the display and it reads 0 for the freezer and 0 for the refrigerator and it says Climatekeeper in between the numbers. I tried to reset the temps and they default back to 0? Wouldn't you know it I bought it on 7/20/11 and it fails 11 days later.

gst85 :

hi there.so is your freezer or fridge not cooling like they should be?

Customer:

Not sure. It hasn't been that long since the problem showed up.

Customer:

Everything still feels frozen.

gst85 :

the only reason that the temperature controls would change it is because the freezer is not is cooling properly.

Customer:

I am not sure what you mean. The temp controls would change what if the freezer in not cooling properly? Do you mean the compressor or other part has failed?

gst85 :

when you set the controls and they seem to changed on thier onw that would mean that your fridge is not cooling properly.open the freezer.tell me if you can see any frost at the wall?and if you can hear your fan running as well?

Customer:

I do see some frost on the walls and drawer and I don't believe that I hear the fan running.

gst85 :

ok so what you seem to just have is a defrost failure.

gst85 :

either your heater or defrost thermostat have failed which is a common problem.

gst85 :

do you know if it is still under warranty?or are you going to fix it yourself?

Customer:

The frost you are referring to on the walls is only surface frost from warm humid air hitting a cold panel not frost build up like you would see if the coil was icing up. The one year warranty ran out 11 days ago but I do have the extended warranty that goes for another two years.

gst85 :

the only failure that i can think of would be the compressor that may be overheating and will need to be serviced.

Customer:

I will place a call for service.