Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

the impeller on my washer drain pump have been damaged... the

Customer Question

the impeller on my washer drain pump have been damaged... the shaft inside the impeller had worn through one of the sides and eaten partway into one of the blades... so I ordered a new comp. However to try to get it to work during the wait for the part, I decided to fill in the hole with JB Weld. It cemented the impeller straight to the shaft. when I put the motor assembly back together the impeller turned freely with the shaft and you could feel the magnetic domains catching. so I put the pump back together and placed it back in the machine. I turned it on rents and then tried to drain it. I can hear the pump running but it was not moving water... did I miss something in the operation of the impeller?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Okay, what has happened is the impeller has come loose on the shaft again. JB weld wont hold that under the strain of pushing the water out. unfortunately when these pumps go the only way to fix that is replace the pump. Ive tried everything I know to repair these and finally gave up. nothing held. you hear the pump motor running but the impeller isn't moving.you really need to just replace the pump when it comes in.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Replaced the pump... working fine ;) thanks again
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
great ! thanks again. Bryan