Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

RE: Kenmore Microwave Hood Combo P/N XXXXXXXXXXX The light

RE: Kenmore Microwave Hood...
RE: Kenmore Microwave Hood Combo P/N XXXXXXXXXXX
The light on the bottom of the unit quit working.
I ordered replacement bulbs 6912W1Z004B. Revised P/N found on Sears parts web site.
New bulbs do not work. The switch button on the control panel shows HIGH, NIGHT, OFF when pressed multiple times.
I cannot find a readable wiring diagram for the unit to research the circuit. Is there a fuse or connection in the light circuit that could be bad? Any suggestions? I'm hesitant to just take the covers off to see what I can see.

Thanks, Dave
7/6/2012
Randy
Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you. Do you happen to have the model number of the unit? Also, please put the period after the third number otherwise the model number will come across as all X's.
721.62644200
Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician
If both bulbs stopped working at the same time, I'd be highly suspect of the control board. Even though it shows high, night, and off, it does not mean the power is coming out to the wiring for the bulb receptacles. When you do press the buttons, do you hear a relay click? It's a very light click. Whether you do or not, I'd advise you to pull the control panel off the microwave, remove the control board from the panel and inspect it for any damaged components AND especially look at the solder side of the board with the circuit paths. IF someone attempted to replace a bulb without unplugging the microwave, this is a common fault that can occur. I don't know your particular situation, but I do know that the only way you'll be able to know is by taking a voltage reading inside your lamp receptacle. Place a multimeter to read AC voltage, attach one lead to chassis ground, then touch the other probe to the center pin in the receptacle while the unit says high light. You should read 120 volts. If not, you either have a bad board or the wiring to the lamps is damaged. Good luck to you.
Just checking in with you. Did you happen to get to test the receptacles? If you wouldn't mind clicking the accept button, that's how I'm compensated for working with you on this question. Thank you.
I finally got a chance to look into this again. I took all the covers off before I discovered that the control panel comes out very easily - if you know how to do it!
It does appear that there is an scorch on the printed circuit from pin 7 on CN1.
After taking the bottom off, I noticed a CAUTION - do not remove bulbs without disconnecting power. This was not very noticeable with the unit mounted on the wall.

I will try to repair this printed circuit and put the board back in.

Sounds good. I find a piece of 22 or 24 gauge wire works well for this purpose. Solder it in to make a new circuit path.
Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician
That did the trick! THANK YOU.
You are sure welcome any time. Thank you my friend.
Justin
Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician