Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a F&P DEGX2 dryer purchased from our local Lowes store.

I have a F&P DEGX2...
I have a F&P DEGX2 dryer purchased from our local Lowe's store. The right side drum bearing went bad and I purchased a replacement bearing kit. Replacing of the bearing is very straight forward, but the instructions refer me to the service manual for instructions to replace the shaft. Is there any way that I can get the information necessary to make this repair? Though I am not a certified appliance repairman, I have been doing maintenance and service work for many years. I am quite capable of following instructions.
7/6/2012
jakecmps
jakecmps, Home Appliance Technician

jakecmps :

GO ON TO YOUTUBE AND TYPE IN FISHER PAYKEL DRYER REPAIRS AND IT SHOWS A VIDEO OF SOMEONE REPLACING A BEARING KIT. THIS SHOULD MAKE THIS REPAIR QUICK AND EASY.

Customer:

This video is for a front load dryer and does not give me any information on how to change the bearing shaft on my top load unit

Customer:

Is anyone still there?

SubZero_Wolf Expert
SubZero_Wolf Expert, Home Appliance Technician
Hello, I can help you with this. Sorry for any delay, The instructions ask you to replace the shaft but in my experience that is only needed if the shaft is worn. Let me know if it is and I can give you detailed instructions (I have done quite a few myself), but be aware that it is at least a 2 hour job if you have not done one before. I remain at your disposal, Sam
Yes, the shaft has some grooving in it on the top side. I gave up waiting for a response yesterday and installed the new bearing without replacing the shaft. I would appreciate your instruction so I can also replace it.
Thanks
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX run it until you replace the shaft. *** Be prepared for 2-3 hours and some frustration, take pics along the way for easier reassembly *** You will need to remove the upper deck (two screws under white caps on the front corners if you lift up the lid). Lift the whole front top up and tilt back. Remove two screw you can now see holding the front panel on.(top front corners on face of front panel). Remove the front. Unplug the small controller blue connector located at the top left. This will now allow you to rotate the entire guts out of the case on its front (you will be working with the front down). From here you can now access both sides of the shaft but will have to remove the outermost side panel to get any tools onto the shaft. Remove the belt (via clip on pully assembly)To remove the panel there are 3-4 brackets on the bottom and back that hold the panel. When you remove these brackets the side will come off allowing to to replace the shaft and the whole machine will want to twist in place. It will not be easy to line everything back up to reattach brackets but it can be done. Reverse the process and you are done. Let me know how it goes and good luck!
Thank you! Once I knew how to open the cabinet and access the bearing shaft bolt, it was a piece of cake. This unit has a carriage bolt through the inside panel. The bearing shaft is only about 1-1/2" long with a 7'8" hex shoulder that I could put a socket on and back it out. being able to tip the guts of the unit out gave me access to be able to hold the carriage bolt in place while I installed the new shaft. The whole operation didn't take me 45 minutes. I didn't have to remove any side panels or the belt. Easiest dryer I have ever worked on. Once I knew how to get into it.
Thanks.
Glad to help! Sounds like your a little handier than the average bear. Feel free to accept and let me know if you need anything else. Thanks, Sam
SubZero_Wolf Expert
SubZero_Wolf Expert
SubZero_Wolf Expert