Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair
14958677

Why would GE Profile model TPS24BPDA stop dispensing water

Customer Question

We have a 12 year old GE Profile (model #TPS24BPDA, serial #TZ284779) side-by-side refrigerator with ice/water dispenser. I’ve never had any issues with it. About a week ago it stopped dispensing water and making ice.

The ice dispenser auger behaves normal, I can hear the valve engage for the water but no water will come out. However, I discovered if hold the water dispenser switch for a minute or two “no water” will come out, but there will be a water puddle on the floor closer to the front bottom right side as you face the refrigerator.

I can recreate the problem with consistency, otherwise there are no other leaks and the refrigerator works fine as it has over the last 12 years.

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 5 years ago.

The puddle you are seeing on the floor is mostly a leak from the waterline at that point if you remove the front lower panel. Look towards the bottom freezer door hinge under the fridge. There you should see a plastic connector which connects the waterline from the holding tank to the dispenser. At the hinge the waterline goes through the door. Common problem on this unit is a frozen waterline in the door. Open the door turn the temperature down it should thaw. If not take a hair dryer carefully warm the door. In your case you might find a hole in the waterline. You can also disconnect the line at the plastic connector. Then press the dispenser water option. See if you get water up to where you disconnected the waterline to disconnect the waterline. Press in on the round plastic disc. Then pull the waterline out. Post back.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I think I understand your response, but why would the water puddle be on the right side as I am facing the front of the refrigerator and not the left by the freezer door or in the middle?

Also, I understand the water dispenser line may be frozen, but why would the ice maker not work and fill with water. Looking at the back of the refrigerator there is a water line feeding the ice maker directly.

Is there water at the very bottom inside the fridge side under the crisper drawers? If so then you have a leak at the water holding tank #810. As far as the ice maker goes. Remove the waterline to the ice maker at the back of the ice maker itself. Allot of times that line will freeze which would block any water leading to the ice maker.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Allow me to re-explain the problem; there is no water inside the refrigerator by the crisper. The tank #810 is not cracked or leaking. The water puddle only appears “AFTER” I hold down the water dispenser for about a minute or two. The puddle is underneath the “FRONT RIGHT” bottom corner of the refrigerator about 8” to 10” inches from the front. Again, there are no other leaks at all unless I use the water dispenser.

Most likely the holding tank is leaking or the waterline to or from the tank is leaking. If you remove the front grill take a flashlight shine it in under the fridge section at the right side. As you do this, have someone else press the water option on the dispenser. You should be able to find the leak. I only told you to look under the crisper drawers because the water holding tank is located just behind the crisper drawer. The waterlines come up through the bottom on the fridge side. If you do not see the leak from the front then go around back remove the back panel the checks in that area for the leak. The only time water will move from the holding tank is when you press the water option on the dispenser. So I think your problem is in that area. Did you disconnect the waterline at the hinge? If there is a blockage in the door the water will find the weakest spot to exit.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

From what I understand you are saying we have two totally separate problems. In 12 years we never had a frozen ice maker line. In 12 years we never had any issues with the water dispenser.

To have both act up at the same time, is it possible, of course it is but what is the probability of it being the case. I find it somewhat suspicious and believe the two problems are related.

Is it possible a valve problem? I can hear the valve engage when I hold the water dispenser, but I do not hear the ice maker filling. I would think I would hear the water running during the filling process.

The chilled water tank is solid and not cracked or broken. The ice maker cycles and goes through its motions but I do not hear the water filling or a noise indicating the valve is engaged.

So, my question age, why would the water come out on the floor “ONLY” when the water dispenser is held done?

The waterline could be blocked. The ice maker only fills when the ice maker calls for water. You can hear the solenoid at the back. Every time you press the water option. You get water under the fridge. You either have a blockage or the waterline has a hole in it. If you notice the waterline from the water valve runs directly to the ice maker. Which means the holding tank is just for the dispenser. The ice maker is cycling. This means the water is obviously not getting to the ice maker. You will need to remove the fill tube at the back of the ice maker. Check to see if it is frozen. It happens very often for the dispenser you need to locate where the leak is coming from with the flashlight method first.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I pretty much retraced all my steps, even the once prior to contacting you. Short of removing the valves and the feeder lines I don’t see anything that would be wrong. I will also disconnect the fridge and see what happens and leave it sit overnight. Again, I am not convinced the two problems are not related and believe there is more in play. This refrigerator has been sitting in the same place for over 12 years working just fine. And one day both ice maker and water act up.

Yes it is not uncommon for both to go bad at the same time. If you were to remove the panel in the back of fridge you will notice that the water valves are at the right side of the fridge. You are getting water under the fridge at the right side. The problem is going to involve the water valves #795 #798 #799. (Broken Hose faulty water valve Etc.) The water valve supplies water to each the ice maker and the water dispenser. No ways to tell until you remove the cover and inspect.

graphic