Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Ge refrig is only 2 1/2 yrs old, and the fridge section

My Ge refrig is only 2 1/2 yrs old, and the fridge section is not cooling. The freezer works fine. How do I go about finding the promlem and fixing the refrig? The model # XXXXX XXXXX Thanks for any insight yoou can provide!!
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

I know the freezer is working fine, but can you pull everything out of the freezer toward the bottom and do you see frost build up on the back wall?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
As per the wife, no frost, in fact, both the freezer and refrig were not cold. I have to go by my wife's description, I was not home when the frig went out. Refrig empty for over 1 week, luckily we have a 6 year old Samsung side by side that works great. Only issue with it is that it's in the garage and doesn't fit in the kitchen.
OK perfect, so if you open the freezer door, do you hear a fan running inside the freezer?

Also, do you hear any motors or fans running like the unit is trying to cool or is the refrigerator/freezer completely 100% silent?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just plugged in refrig for first time after unplugging. Humming heard instantly. No fans seem to be running in freezer, don't hear it! Closed doors to see if refrig cools!!
ok give it about 15 minutes and then open the freezer and tell me if you hear the fan running in the freezer. The fan wouldn't run if it's too warm inside the freezer.

Also, while you're waiting if you're handy--you can remove the back panel inside the freezer to see what the frost pattern on the silver evaporator coils looks like. The coils should be frosted from top to botXXXXX XXXXXghtly after about 10 minutes of running the refrigerator.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Inside back panel of freezer removed, it is getting cold, no frost yet. will recheck in a few minutes.
ok just give it about 15 minutes and let me know what you see.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Light frost on eval coils, but it appears to be frosting from bottom to top. Top row does not appear to have frost, while all other row are lightly frosted.
ok so that is a problem. That means that you're either low on freon or the compressor is inefficient. I'm afraid this is not an issue that you can fix yourself, you'll need a technician to come out and check the freon pressure to determine if you need a re-charge or a new compressor and both of those option are rather expensive at about $350-600.