Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

GE side by side refrigerator (model GSL25JFTA BS) control panel

Customer Question
(above the dispenser) lights went...
GE side by side refrigerator (model GSL25JFTA BS) control panel (above the dispenser) lights went off. No water and ice dispenser working. I can see the temperature control lights on the panel when I press the button, but only for about 5 seconds. The Water/Crushed/Cube/Lock lights stay on. I can hear the fan/compressor sound. Its just only about an hour that this happened and the temperature inside the refrigerator seems to be OK. The refrigerator is about 5 years old. No wiring from the bottom to the freezer door. Un-plugged and plugged back in. But no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Appliance
7/1/2012
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 5 years ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Hello and thank you for using this service.

Typically when this happens the main board behind the unit is bad. That board supplies power to the dispay board and controls the ice and water functions. There is a chance that the display board on the dispenser is defective, but very unlikely. They had numerous issues with the power board in the back for this exact issue along with many others. I would replace it as you have an old version board anyway. Here is a link to it and it is very easy to install. There is a small cover with three screws on it behind the unit. Remove that and unplug the plugs off the board. There are a 4 white posts to pinch then you can slide the board off. The new one comes with instructions and a great warranty. Also a great return policy so no worries on beiing stuck with a part.Here is a link to it.

CLICK HERE

All I ask is that you rate my reponse and tips are appreciated!
So, do you think the refrigerator and freezer are working normally? though the dispenser is not working? Does the control board you recommended work for my model? If control board is replaced and still the problem, then what will be the alternative solution? Thanks in advance.
Yes, the unit will work normally even though that board is not working for the dispenser. If that board does not work for some reason you would need a display board, but I doubt it. The control board link I sent you is the OEM part for your unit.
I have ordered the control board. I'll update you once it is installed. Also could you please let me know the part number for display board and where to get it? Thanks!
Yes, here is a link to it. Note these rarely and I mean rarely go bad.

CLICK HERE

All I aks is that you rate my assistance by leaving me feedback on the help I have given. Happy 4th of July and thanks!
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Let me know if you got it

I received the control board today. Seems like no wires to cut and about to install. I need a clarification on the ground wire. The panel has only 2 screws (marked with red arrows) to remove it. The old control board has the ground wire (marked with green arrow) on the other end of the unlike the new board. The ground wire on the old board hooked up to a plug. Since the new board has ground wire on the other end and does not have a plug (male/female) to hook-up, do I need to capture eyelet of ground to the one of the two screws that I un-screwed to remove the panel? Also there is another screw on the top (marked with blue arrow). But I did not touch it to remove the panel. Please let me know how can I connect the ground wire.

BTW, I just checked the new ground wire. The eyelet won't reach neigher of the bottom two that I removed. It can reach the top the screw that I did not touch. Please advise.

It has been more than 6 hours since I posted the question and the refrigerator was turned off since then. Any reply would be appreciated.

Just connect the ground to 1 of the cover screws
As I menyioned in my last question, the ground wire could not reach the either of the two panel screws. The only screw it can reach was the top (see blue color arrow in attached picture in my previous question) which is not casso,iated with the panel. Please let me know how this ground wire can be connected.
Installed the control board and I have extended the ground wire by adding another piece of wire and connected to the panel screw.

When powered on to the refrigerator, I don't see any change. Same problem as I mentioned in my first thread. Seems like all connections are good. Let me know if I need o double check anything or need to order front panel board? Please advise.
You may need the front panel if it is still doing the same thing. Check to make sure the switches are activating when you press the dispenser. If they are working ok then the only other thing it could be is the front board unit.
I am newbie to the site. I did rate you on the first day when I received an answer from you by clicking the icon above. Seems like it did not go through.

I have ordered the front panel board. Let me seeif it resolve my issue.
ok no problem
Installed new front panel. The problem still remains same. Please see the attached picture. The new control board is still there.

I am really concerned. Please let me know what else need be checked.
This is a very odd issue. The only two boards are those two. I ran into a similar issue on a Frigidaire unit that drove me nuts as this one is doing. It turned out to be a wire harness under the unit that had gotten wet and corroded. You should check all the wire harness connector below the unit and see if any are lying in the drain pan or are corroded. Other than that I am just not sure where to point you to next.
I did check the wire harness and it looks good.

Only thing I want to try before calling a technician. Could you please let me know the part number for the paddle thing? Not sure exactly what you call, but when we press the curve shape black paddle, the dispenser will turn and we get either water or ice.
Here is a link to the breakdown. I am not sure what part you are thinking of exactly. The microswitch is part #72. That would be the only thing I could think of,.

CLICK HERE
The link you sent gives only the part numbers. Could you please help me in finding the part description.

As per the diagram, I am looking for part# 58 and 69. I think there is a disconnect between these two parts. The part 58 doesn't seem to be look right. For this part, on the top right hand side there is a bend (near the part# 134).

These parts (58 and 69) come together or need to buy them separately? I am not sure whether part #s 72, 56, 61, 70 and 74 are also associated with 58 and 69. Please advise.
Part #58 and 69 are separate. There is a wire harness that you will need to remove from the old part. Just scroll down to the parts list to order them.
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician