Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Magic Chef refrigerator model ctf1920ar that is leaking

water (probably from defrost action)...
I have a Magic Chef refrigerator model ctf1920ar that is leaking water (probably from defrost action) inside the lower refrigerator area. The last time I had this issue a technician came out and told me that something was plugged up. He cleared it out.

I do not remember exactly what he did. Does anyone have any idea what I need to do?
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/25/2012
Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician

Tim Alan :

Hi my name isXXXXX can help you with your issue

Tim Alan :

The drain is at the top inside the freezer

Tim Alan :

To access remove the rear inside panel and the drain is right under the coil near the middle of the drain trough

Tim Alan :

Make sure you clear out all the ice from the drain trough and thaw and flush the actual drain line

Tim Alan :

You can do that with very hot water, If it is really plugged yup you can access the drain line from the rear of the refrigerator

Customer:

Could you please be a little more specific about the location and what the drain looks like?

Tim Alan :

The drain is nothing more than a hole inside the freezer, when it defrosts it drips down into a plastic trough inside the refrigerator and then out a hole in the back of the unit into a plastic hose

Tim Alan :

It is located inside the freezer section behind the rear panel

Tim Alan :

and it is right under the coil, there is a trough that it is connected to that is probably full of ice, clear the ice out and poor hot water in that trough and once all the ice is cleared the hole can be seen

Customer:

There is not a hole in the freezer part of the refrigerator.

Tim Alan :

There should be a screw in each corner of that rear panel, take that out and you will see what I am talking about

Tim Alan :

Have you removed the rear panel and all the ice?

Tim Alan :

There is a drain hole and it is hard to see

Customer:

There are no screws within the freezer section. And ice is created within the freezer into a bin.

Tim Alan :

Full Size Image

Tim Alan :

Can you see that image?

Tim Alan :

Item number 2 is the rear panel

Tim Alan :

there are screws holding that panel in place

Tim Alan :

If you have an ice maker then you will have to remove that also

Tim Alan :

there are 2 screws at the top and one at the bottom

Customer:

I see similar image to the one you sent. Would it be easier to run hot water down the drain without removing everything including the ice making parts?

Tim Alan :

The best way is to get behind the rear panel

Tim Alan :

but if you cant try using a hair dryer but it's very hard to know if you have it clear or not, you can try both if you want a hair dryer and hot water

Tim Alan :

You can also pull the unit out and get behind it and check the drain line

Tim Alan :

you might get lucky and it could be just clogged up at the hose someplace

Customer:

Great. the back of the refrigerator has a back panel. I will look at it to see how difficult that will be. Next time let the person know that the screws are the type that require pliers.

Tim Alan :

The drain line will be a small hose that connects at the drain port near the top of the refrigerator section and runs down to the drain pan

Tim Alan :

Most of the time they are philips

Tim Alan :

but 1/4 inch hex heads are also used

Tim Alan :

both types are used

Customer:

Fortunately, I have tools of various sizes. I will have to have my son come over, because the refrigerator is too difficult for me to move all the way out.

Tim Alan :

Ok let me know if you need further assistance, you will know when the drain is clear when you pour water into the drain and it trickles down into the pan at the bottom of the unit

Customer:

Thanks.... If this doesn't work and considering the age of the refrigerator, I'll probably buy a new one.

Tim Alan :

Your welcome, you should be able to get it clear and won't need to buy a new one, have a great day

Customer:

You too....

Tim Alan :

thank you

Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Tim Alan
Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician