Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

20 year old RCA refrigerator leaks water into bottom under

drawers. How can I...
20 year old RCA refrigerator leaks water into bottom under drawers. How can I stop this? Model #MTX21G1SRRAD
6/15/2012
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good afternoon, the reason the water is in the fresh food section under the bins is your defrost drain tube is clogged.when these go into the automatic defrost the heater comes on to melt the frost. the water from the defrost goes down a tube to a pan under the refrigerator. when these tubes clogged the water has no where to go but in the refrigerator.
you need to clear the clog. there is ice in the line. first you need to empty the freezer and remove the back panel # XXXXX on this diagram. can you do that ? once its off you will see the evaporator coils(silver coils) in the center right under those theres a drain hole. boil water and pour it over the ice until its completely gone and the water drains freely. if you have an ice maker it will need to be removed to get the back panel out. once its draining put it back together and your all set. thanks and if you have any questions just reply back.

Bryan,
When I poured the water down the hole, it ran down the inside of the refrigerator just like before.
okay. are you able to see the hole yet ? was there a sheet of ice under the coils ? the water when you pour it can run down through the vents into the refrigerator section. it kinda runs over until the ice melts and it goes down the tube.
I'm not sure if it will work; it looked rusty around the hole. I plugged it back in and I'll have to see what happens.
Okay, did you get the hole clear though ? thats the thing that will make this work. if its really rusted however that could be an issue. Did the water finally drain down the hole ?
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Just checking back with you on your refrigerator. is it draining now into the pan below ? if you need more help please ask. thanks Bryan
Sorry to say, the refrigerator still leaks into the bottom. I have decided to get a new one with a better energy rating, so I think I will benefit in the end. Thanks for your advice.
okay, Best wishes and thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician