Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Samsung Dv337ael / Xaa electric clothes dryer and

Customer Question
as been hardly used....
I have a Samsung Dv337ael / Xaa electric clothes dryer and as been hardly used. It is all apart at the moment. The dryer starts but is extremely loud. It stays on for 5 seconds then stops. The panel is still lit with no error code. The time continues to count down. If you turn the power off and then on again, it just clicks but does not start. Leave it off a minute or so, it will start again, but only for 5 seconds. The belt is tight; everything appears to be connected properly. If I spin the drum with my hand while off, it is quiet without any scraping...even the blower fan spins quietly and has no broken blades. Turn the dryer on and the loud noise seems to be coming from the motor. The best way to describe is a GRRRR vibration. It sounds painful but no metal scraping sound. The cabinet vibrates as well, but again, for only 5 seconds then stops. The power is still on, therefore not a fuse or circuit breaker. Suggestions?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/14/2012
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 5 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good morning, the problem is common on these, your motor has failed , the reason it stops after 5 seconds is the motor thermal cutoff kicks the motor off. its a safety feature so you don't have a fire, you need to order and replace the motor. you will also need to find a supllier there. the part # XXXXX XXXXX The company's here dont ship to Brazil unfortunately. I am supplying a link to the diagrams below however. thanks and very best wishes, Bryan

diagrams
This dryer was purchased in the US and was "containered" to Brazil in its original box. It worked for a few months and now this problem. Is this something that I could replace myself or is it trickey? If so, is there a step by step diagram/ instructions that you know of. I have spoken to two Samsung authorized service centers here who don't want to touch it. heh. I will be back in the US in September and could bring a new motor back with me.
well theres no step by step instructions unfortunately. its not a real easy job but you could replace it. the reason I said you need to order it there was because none of the suppliers here ship out of country , if you comming here though you can pick on up . you need to remove the front panel to access this. these are a pain thats why I gave you a link to the diagrams. Its too difficult to explain step by step. sorry. if you run into a specific problem while doing this I'll try to help though,you can always come back and I'll be glad to assist with whatever I can. thanks ,Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Hi Bryan,

I have taken the dryer apart so I can get at the motor. There are two "rings" on either side of the motor that uses to seat itself down on the mounting plate. Therefore, there isn't anything to grip on the front of the motor (nearest to the blower fan) to hold to keep the shaft from spinning as you loosen the motor from behind. The fan itself has a nut to attach it to the blower shaft so I guess I'll be gripping that and then gripping from behind the motor to free it. I hope that is correct. Anyway, I did find a place that ships internationally for $35 (+ the surprise Custom's charges!) with some pretty decent prices on OEM parts... www.appliancezone.com.

thats good news. yes you have to grab the motor pulley on one end and hold it. the blower has a nut and you need a good sized socket to remove that. these can be a pain. the two spring type clamps on each end holding the motor mounted I usually use a big flat head screw driver to pry them off the clipped part. (can be a pain) I would probably wait until the new motor arrives before taking the blower wheel off . I'm not sure on the one if its a reverse thread.

Ok Bryan, I finally received the new motor assembly after it was stuck in Customs. It came complete with the blower wheel already attached and clips. It was a sinch to replace. I turned it on and now is much quieter. Except it runs for only 7 seconds now and then stops. You can here it click when you try to restart, and then a click again. If I shut it off, and turn it back on, it will run, but inly for 7 seconds. So I dont think it was the motor that was the problem...but since it is quiter now, it also probably needed replacing. i still have my problem which surprises me. Suggestions?
let me go over our conversations and take another look. I'll be back as soon as possible.
does you drum turn freely by hand ?
Yes, the drum turns by hand...freely but with tension since it is attached to the motor and pulley.
no noise when you turn it by hand.?
No noise. Turns freely and smooth. This dryer is only a year old or so and barely used. When opened, everything looks new; the belt, rollers, etc. AIt not the door sensor...I thought it might be the moisture sensor not sensing anything so I put it on manual air fluff setting...same thing.
looking at this theres not much to it that could cause that. the thermostats wont. the only thing that could would be the main control board. it definatly sounded like the motor was going and now its quite but I'm wondering whether it damged the control board motor relay . I dont see anything else that could cause that eccept the relay kicking out.
I will be flying to the US next week and I will purchase the control panel...and bring it back with me. Lets see if that will do it. Otherwise, it is going to be an elephant in the room.
okay let me know. sorry your having so much trouble. thanks Bryan
Could any issues with grounding, either at the outlet not having a proper ground or the green grounding wires coming off the panel on the machine not grounded properly with a copper screw cause the system to shut down?
Yes, absolutely . If you don't have the correct ground this will shut down. Do you have a ground issue there? How wires on the cord on this dryer?
Plug on dryer has blue, black and white wires. However, the outlet is not grounded, with only two wires. However, most of the outlets in Brazil are NOT grounded. Within the last year, Brazil has changed all the outlets, and therefore the plugs on electrical devices, to grounded 3 prong. As an example, I just bought a brand new Panasonic microwave with a 3 prong plug and it is plugged into a 3 prong outlet which does not have a grounding wire (3rd hole is a "dummy"). It functions just fine. A lot of the other appliances are similar. You can feel the "energy" passing through the appliance which is how I know it is not grounded, but sgain, works fine. There are two grounding screws on the dryer itself; one at the area where the power cord enters the back of the dryer; the other is coming off of the control panel (photo you sent) and screwed to a mounting bracket. So there is some "grounding"? My other dryer 127v, worked fine without being grounded. I have it here, but it was hooked up with two 110v wires to create the 220v in Rio where power is 110v. Here, in Recife, power is 220v and the dryer doesnt like a single 220v wire...so we havent been able to get it to operate. That is why I bought this dryer that we have been talking about, since it is supposed to be 220v single wire, as opposed to the 2 wire 127v made by Electrolux.
I understand.well on the new dryers they definitely need to be grounded correctly. actually they should have a neutral and a ground. I cant be sure how the power is connected there and whether this is causing the issue but my guess is yes. these electronic machines are very sensitive to power brownouts which if your not grounded correctly is whats going on. its drawing the ground through the control board which is bad and will make this shut down. my suggestion is talk to someone in electrical on here and see what they can tell you to do to rectify this issue. I wish i could help you there but I'm not an electrician unfortunately. sorry. hopefully they can tell you what to about that. thanks , Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician