Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
14308609

I have a Kenmore Elite Electric Range Model #790-46603500.

I have a Kenmore Elite Electric Range Model #790-46603500. In accidentally brushing the key pad the oven door locked as if for cleaning. Using the cancel key produced no results. Consequently, you cannot use any of the range's function in this state. This happened once before and I was given instructions of key pad combination to unlock the door. Could you please give me those commands. It seems foolish to have a repairman come to my house to do something that will only take seconds to correct.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 5 years ago.
Hello I'm Larry and I will use all my training and knowledge of 40 years to help you with your Problem today ,, thanks

here is the manual and you need to read page 16 to seehow to unlock the controls so you can cancel the clean

click here for the manual
http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/owner_manuals/4020/KENMORE-ELITE-Slide-In-Range-Electric-L0603080?brand_name_search=790-46603500
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dear XXXXX,
I have already read the manual and did exactly what it prescribed, however, it did not work. What else do you have to recommend before I call the repairman to come out?
does it show a error in the display?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No!
press and hold both the oven cook time and delay start pads for at least 5 seconds and tell me what happens
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Pressed the oven cook time and delay start pads for 10 seconds and it only produced three beeps but it did not unlock the door.
set the oven into the clean cycle and once you hear the latch lock down then cancel the clean cycle and wait 20 minutes and open the door
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have already tried to put it into the cleaning cycle to see if it would work after that function was completed. However, none of the functions of the range or the cleaning cycle will operate while it is in this lockdown state.
hate to tell you then but when he was playing with all the buttons he shorted out the touch pad, if this range is a year or less in age then its covered under the warranty
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Are4 you saying that you think I shorted out the touch pad while attempting to cancel out this function. Is it usually that sensitive? I am going to have a hard time "liking" this transaction without a remedy to my problem.
i say it locked up the touch pad, you can try to kill the power to the unit and wait 30 minutes to see if the control resets