Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a 2009 Whirlpool washer. I started a load of clothes...

Customer Question
I have a 2009 Whirlpool...
I have a 2009 Whirlpool washer. I started a load of clothes... The washer filled up with water and started to wash. Before the rinse cycle, the washer stopped. It won't do anything. We took out the clothes and removed all the water. We pulled the washer out, and there was a puddle of brown oil under the washer. Is this something that can be fixed? I don't want to pay someone to come over and tell me that I need a new washer.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/10/2012
Appliance Technician: Robert, Home Appliance Technician replied 5 years ago
Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician

Robert : Hello.
Robert : Pod you have the model number on the unit? Also, how big was the puddle of oil?
Robert : Are you still with me?
Customer:

model # XXXXX

Customer:

Its a top loader

Robert : The whirlpool u
Customer:

The puddle wasnt huge, maybe 1/4 of a quart

Robert : Units will leak a little oil if the weep hole on the transmission was not cleared in the factory. This is usually not an issue.
Robert : It sounds like the lid switch may have failed on yours.
Robert : Lift the lid and listen for a click.
Robert : Check the screws on the lid hinges and make sure they are nice tight if you don't here a clicking noise.
Customer:

Its clicking just fine. At first we thought it may have been the plug or something, because the washer is dead... It wont do anything

Robert : No humming when you put it on the spin cycle? Listening the middle of the front panel when you start the spin cycle.
Customer:

Okay, I just plugged it in again... Now, water will come out... I turned it to the spin cycle and it started to try to spin for a second, then it stopped. Yes its humming

Robert : Okay. Lean the unit back and locate the motor and pump assy. The pump is held on with two clips. Pop those clips off and pull the pump off of the motor and push it aside. Set the unit back down and try the spin cycle again. Let me know the results.
Customer:

Okay, Im gonna try this, give me a few

Robert : No problem.
Customer:

Just pulled the washer out & there's alot more oil. Should I attempt this?

Robert : With a lot of oil on the ground then you will probably need a new transmission on the washer. Sounds
Robert : Like it broke a gear and cracked the casing.
Customer:

For future reference, what would have caused this? We've only had it for a couple of years

Robert : That is unusual for that unit. That usually last a long time. I imagine it was a flaw in the transmission itself and not something you did to it.
Robert : You would have to jam pack that washer to kill the transmission.
Robert : Sorry about the grammar. I am on an iPad testing the mobility of the site.
Customer:

its cool, is a new transmission expensive? Would a new washer be a better bet?

Robert : The transmission is about 198 dollars. A new unit is around 400.
Customer:

Okay, thanks

Robert : No problem. Is there anything else I can help you with?
Customer:

No, we're good

Robert : Have a good night and let me know if you need anything in the future.
Robert : Please click the accept button to close this chat if you are satisfied with my assistance.
Customer:

Hi Robert... I did accept your answer when we were done, and my credit card was charged. There was a $1 charge for the deposit, and after I accepted the answer, there was a $14 charge. I don't know why you still show that I haven't accepted the answer. I'm not gonna accept it again, because I don't want to be charged again. I'm a very honest person and I would not try to screw you over.

Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Robert
Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician