Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a maytag dishwasher that fills and drains but wont wash.

Customer Question
Id like to fix it...
I have a maytag dishwasher that fills and drains but wont wash. Id like to fix it myself. where should I look first?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/10/2012
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 5 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

can you get us the full model # ?
MDBD880AWB
Okay so what exactly happens after this is filled with water? Does it just sit there and the motor doesn't run or does the motor run but it's just not washing correctly?
The motor stars up and sounds like its running normally but no water pumps from the arms. It sounds like it sprays some water when it first start but then stops. The spray arms on the bottom are not in the same positions before i close it and after I open it but are not turning anymore. It sounds like water is not getting to the pump.
Okay can you do me a favor, start the machine and let it fill, once it is full and you hear the motor start open the door and tell me how much water is in the bottom of the machine. Does it reach the heater? How much water in inches is in the bottom?
It fills to the bottom of the heater coil.
Okay it sounds like you have plenty of water so this means the pump is weak and is not able to push the water through the spray arms, try this before ordering a new pump, pour about another gallon of water into the bottom of the machine after it's done filling and try it again see if the water is now running through the spray arms. Let me know, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
no luck with that. Bummer.
You can try replacing the impeller kit which may take care of the issue. If the impeller is worn then it won't push the water around like it's supposed to, this is the kit.It runs around $37 the only problem is I can't guarantee this is the issue but it wouldn't hurt to at least try taking it apart and taken a look at it before you order a whole pump assembly, here is a link with a video to show you how to take this apart. you may find something in the pump assembly if you lucky. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Impeller-and-Seal-Kit/6915435/1469486?modelNumber=MDBD880AWB if not you will need to order and replace the whole pump assembly. heres that link. http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/6-917113/0022/465?pathTaken=directMatch&filterPart=&pop=flush&prst=0&shdPart=6-917113
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician