Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have an Amana bottom freezer model ARB2117BC. The freezer

I have an Amana bottom...
I have an Amana bottom freezer model ARB2117BC. The freezer door seal had gone bad and was leaking cold air so I eventually replaced it. Several weeks later, I noticed the freezer temperature was rising. I read some advice to replace the defrost timer and defrost thermostat, which I did. When I did, I noticed ice had built up around one of the tubes next to the thermostat and on some of the fins. I removed the ice after replacing the parts. Unfortunately, nothing has changed. The refrigerator is cool but not as cold as it had been and the freezer is cold but not below 32 degrees, even on its lowest setting. The fan runs all the time, except when the defrost timer shuts off. Any advice?
6/6/2012
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

can you remove the panel again and take a look at the coils? are they only partially frost ? only some of the coils ?
I am not currently at my home where the refrigerator is. I can check it later this evening. However, both times I removed the panel, before I replaced the parts, only the top right section of the coils were frosted and about a 3" section of one of the tubes.
thats not a good sign unfortunately.if on a part of the coils are frosting you have a freon issue. most likely a freon leak. when the freon is low it can only partially frost some of the coils so the refrigerator will run and run constantly to try to cool the refrigerator. unfortunately it can never get down to temp because theres not enough coils frosted to freeze or cool the refrigerator section. check it again when you get home. if they are the same you will need to call an HVAC tech to check the freon levels. sorry for the bad news. hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Darn! That's a bummer. Do you know of any way I can check for that leak on my own, just to confirm?
the only way you can know is to remove the panel and if only a few coils are frosted then its low for sure. you need freon gages and have to be licensed to put a tap valve in to test the levels with the gages. sorry but thats all you can do. I wish you well, thanks Bryan
Do you have any idea of repair cost for a freon leak?
that depends on what the issue is and where its leaking. if the evaporator coil is leaking it would need to be replaced, average cost for replacing that and recharging is around $400.00, the leak has to be located and fixed by law in order to charge the system again. the freon laws are strict now. if its a line thats leaking and is easily soldered then your looking at around $200.00. with the freon recharge.
Here is a photo of what I found when I removed the panel again. This is worse than it was the prior 2 times.graphic
okay its definitely low on freon, the frost is at the very beginning of the coils which means its leaking more and pretty soon you wont have any left.its hard to say if its the evaporator leaking or a line.you would need a tech to determine that. sorry for the bad news.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Ok. I just wanted a confirmation before I called. Thank you for your assistance.

your welcome, have a great day. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician