Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My ge microwave suddenly stopped working right after I put

Customer Question

My ge microwave suddenly stopped working right after I put an item in to reheat it. All keys are black, showing no writing. The outlet still is ok, and is in working order. Is there a fuse(?) in the microwave that has blown? Is there a fix for this appliance (it's only 2-3 years old).
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Is this a microwave mounted over the oven, a counter top microwave, or a built into the wall microwave?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
counter top microwave
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
ok so there are a few fuses. The most likely is going to be a ceramic 1" fuse that is 1/4" in diameter behind the control panel area. If this is a counter top microwave, you'll need to unplug the microwave and remove the screws coming in from the back of the outer shell. Then remove the screws coming in from the left and right side if there are any. Now the outer shell will pull straight back, up, and off. Look for the fuse, it will look something like the picture below.

If it's open it will need to be replaced. And since you said the fuse went back just when you start the microwave, that usually means that the bottom door switch is starting to fail also so you'd want to replace that as well.