Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

the long plastic strip around of both my refrigerator and the

the long plastic strip around of both my refrigerator and the freezer (the one that is by the door) is hot, and even the refrigerator seems still functioning, actually its not as cold as it suppose to, would you please let me know what is the problem?

How much would it be for a service call? I am in NJ and I bought this refrigerator in The quaker bridge mall in NJ. but its out of warranty, thanks a lot!
Emily
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So when this strip (called the mullion strip) gets hot, it means that your compressor is over working. Generally this means that the fan back by the compressor isn't running. Pull the refrigerator forward and remove the lower back access panel. Now you can see the compressor and the condenser fan motor. If the fan motor isn't running, remove the blockage, or replace the fan motor because it has failed. If the fan is running, try to clean the coils under the refrigerator because if the coils are packed with lint and dust, the compressor can't cool down.

If you clean the coils and the fan is running but the strip is still hot and the refrigerator is still slightly warm, then you need to call a technician out because your compressor is starting to fail or something along those line. It wouldn't be something that you can fix yourself regardless, which is why you'd need to call a technician at this point.