Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Hello. I have a Maytag dishwasher model # XXXXX My

Customer Question
Hello. I have a...
Hello. I have a Maytag dishwasher model # XXXXX My top sprayer for the top shelf is not spraying water out or cleaning my dishes on the top shelf. I have taken the inside apart and cleaned everything. Made sure there was no clogs, kinks in the lines. I did run a test on the washer by pushing the heavy wash five times and hitting start. It came up with no errors. Any clue to what is going on?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/1/2012
Appliance Technician: Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech replied 5 years ago
Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Hello I'm Larry and I will use all my training and knowledge of 40 years to help you with your Problem today ,, thanks

make sure the hot water is set to 120 to 140 degrees and go to walmart, home depot or sears and buy some dishwasher magic or affresh (dishwasher magic is the best) and run though the dishwasher at lease 2 to 3 times and it will clean the filters, spray arms, pump and hoses and this will clean it out and it will work fine
What are my options if that doesn't fix it?
if this does not fix the unit then remove the top of the pump housing and replace the wash impeller and its part number 99002741 which cost about $9 and you can get it at a local appliance parts dealer near you ,, Glad i could help you with your problem so please press the accept or big smiley face for me before you leave for my time and knowledge, before you come back for a refund for any reason let me know and maybe i can help further without it counting against me ,, thanks
i am about to log off for the day so do you have any further questions for me before i leave tonight
I have no way of running dishwasher magic tonight. I have looked at impeller and it appears to be in good shape. Will accept answer after I try dishwasher magic. Second and third row spray arms seem to be working fine.
no problem and even after you accept my answer tonight being the end of the month i will still be able to help you further at no extra charge if you need me without having to start all over ,, thanks and have a great evening
I've tried the magic wash & the wash impeller. The top wash arm still has no water coming our of it. It does spin during the cycle though. Also, the bottom 2 wash arms work just fine & do clean the dishes. Any other suggestions?
is it only the very top spray arm thats now working now?
No, its the very top that's NOT working. That's been the problem all long.
is it number 5 in this picture

graphic
Yes
replace the top arm, part number 6-917644 which cost about $10 and the retainer that cost about $3 and the part number is 99002753
Ok. I will try that & get back with you on accepting your answer. Thank you.
your welcome
I replaced the top arm and retainer. This still didn't fix the problem. The top arm still has no water coming out of it, but the bottom two work properly and clean fine.
then the only thing it can be is the tube that carries the water up the back wall to the arms
ok. I guess I will try replacing it. Is it very expensive?
it cost about $32 ands the part number is 99002738
That didn't fix it either. Now what?
Appliance Technician: Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 5 years ago
Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

I see the last expert has OPTED out .

I will try to assist you ,But I will ask you some questions first to properly diagnosis the unit .

Before I Just start having you ((throw )) parts at it .

When the unit is done filling with water ,can you open the door and tell me how much water is standing in the bottom of the unit

so if I start the unit are there any particular settings i need to put it on? and when would I open the door to check and see how much water is in the bottom so I can give you an accurate answer. I can hear it fill up, but not sure when during the cycle I should open the door. I'm sorry if I seem ignorant about my dishwasher. I just usually fill it, start it and then go about my day. I haven't really stayed around to listen to it.

You can set it on any cycle it fills with the same amount of water no matter what cycle it is set on .

Normal fill is just touching the heating element .

LOL and no problem , most homeowners are the same just put dishes in ,detergent start and walk away .

ok, here's what i did. I put it on normal setting. After water was done running, I opened the door and the water was just touching the heating element.

ok good ,water volume is ok .

Now lets take 2 coffee cups NOT mugs , and set them on the top shelf one on the left and one on the right ,in the center from front to back ,setting up right ,so as to catch the water .

and then close the door let it run for 60 seconds ,and then open the door and tell me how much water is in each cup ?

ok, before I do that, let me tell you what I did this morning. After I installed the new manifold that distributes the water I put glasses upright on the top shelf on the left, right and middle and I hit the rinse cycle. It runs for 9 minutes. After this cycle was complete I opened up the door and pulled out the top shelf and there was little, to now water in the glasses and that's how I determined that it still wasn't working. Is that okay or do I need to do what you said in your reply?

no that will work for this test as long as they where upright .

Ok so the unit fills up with the correct amount of water ,you have a new upper spray arm and the manifold .

The only thing you have is the wash impellor in the pump ,it may look ok but if it is worn it will not pump the proper volume of water ,

Here is a link to the part .

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Wash-Impeller/99002741/1012051

ok, I will get this. It's the only thing that hasn't been replaced. I will get this and then I will leave feedback and accept answer. Thank you.

no problem ,let me know how you come out.

and remmber my accept not the last expert if this works !!

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
No problem!
why a negative rating when i opted out and the other guy took over
The reason I gave you the rating I did was because you basically had me throwing parts at my dishwasher. I've spent a lot of money that I didn't have on those parts and it's still not fixed.
i see he told you the wash impeller and i did right off the bat and you said it was good so when he jumped on i opted out, you have a good day now
i see you keep coming back and leaving me a negative rating so is there anything else i can help you with on this and did you replace the wash impeller in the top of the motor as i told you and he did too and did it help? if you need my help then i will opt back in and over ride him so we can finish this up ,, just let me know but please do not leave any more negative ratings so if you cant leave a good one then do not leave any at all ,, thanks
I did replace the wash impeller & all the other parts you recommended & it's still NOT fixed.
i'm sorry then and as before i will opt out so maybe someone else can try to help you so please do not leave a rating and someone will be with you soon ,, you have a good day now
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX
your welcome, we have done everything possible so all thats left is to call in a hands on service tech ,, thanks
Appliance Technician: The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician replied 5 years ago
The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician

Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.

This may seeem l;ike a dumb question, but are you sure that the unit is pumping any water at all through the spray arms? Upper or lower?

Try the coffee cup trick on the lower rack. Let me know what happens.

Yes. I have done that test to all three shelves. My bottom two shelves do work and fill glasses they also get my dishes clean.

Ok let me dig into the service manual and see what I can come up with. It sounds like a blockage somewhere.

Give me about 15 minuets, please.

ok. I do have the service manual if you find anything in it. I just got it and haven't had a chance to try a couple of things.
Ok I have access to the tech site as well. Looking through the bulletins now.

Here is a possibility. Not too lilkely but it is posible that this filter is plugged.

Still looking.

graphic

I have cleaned that filter.

Ok. If that is not the problem, and you have replaced the impellar, and other parts mentioned here then that leaves a motor that just is not turning fast enough to push the water up to the top sprayer. Either that or the impellar is spinning on the drive shaft of the motor.

Now mind you that any leaks, misfitting docks, or misaligned delivery tubes will leak a lot and reduce the pressure enough to cause this.

Give me one more minuet and I will see if there is a test for the motor speed.

Got it!

Please click here to download th etwech sheet for your unit. It has the test specs for th emotor as well as other components.

When measured the motor should have between 3 - 4 ohms resistance.

The motor, pump and water inlet valve has been tested and the ohms for all are where they should be and the float is also working properly. Any suggestions?

When I was doing automotive diagnostics and had a vehicle that I had trouble figuring out, knowing good and well that I had done every test, in the correct sequence, at the prescribed temperature, by the book, etc., consulted with the other mechanics on the floor, ran all possibilities past the service manager, and still could not come up with a solution I did one thing that (except for one time) worked perfectly.

I put everything back the way it was and started from the begining. By the book, no skipped steps, no shortcuts, no 'Eh, I already checked that three times', etc.

From point A to point Z, in order, by the book.

If that doesn't work then do like I did and throw a 13/16" combo wrench acrost the shop and shout an expletive loud enough that the whole shop can hear...... Well, on second thought, don't do like I did. Have someone else look at it. Sometimes we just cant see the trees because we have been stairing at the forest too long.

That one I couldnt figure out.... The Matco Tool man walked over, picked up my wrench, politely handed it back and asked what the problem was. I told him everything I tried. He then picked up the same wrench. Tapped the mass airflow sensor and the damn thing hickupped. Tapped it again. Hiccup. Problem solved.