Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

RA:SA

Customer Question

my Maytag freezer temp keeps going up. I have checked and the freezer is closed. It is now at 21 degrees. What is going on?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you hear any fans or motors running at all? Or is everything completely silent?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I hear motor/fan running

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
ok and is the refrigerator still the proper temperature for now?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
This means that your compressor is overloading and cutting out. It will turn off for a few minutes and then try again over and over. Pull the refrigerator forward and unplug the refrigerator. Remove the lower back access panel and locate your large black round compressor. There is a small plastic box attached to the side of the compressor with several wires going into it. This is your overload relay. Pull the overload relay off the compressor and shake it. If it rattles, then it needs to be replaced. If it doesn't rattle, then you likely have a bad compressor and you'll need to call a technician in order to replace the compressor.

Now if this is a french door model by Maytag, the problem is usually the compressor I'm afraid to tell you, but if you unplug the unit for 3 hours and let the compressor cool down, sometimes when you plug the refrigerator back in it will start working again. But that's only temporary if it works and it will only last for a few weeks/months before it happens again.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am 75 years old and live alone. I will have to call a repair man tomorrow and hope my food does not spoil.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
alright. I'd try to unplug the unit for a few hours or turn the breaker off the the refrigerator, because everything will be warm by tomorrow. If you let the compressor cool down, sometimes it will start up and work for a bit again.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry I never responded. I was unable to move the refrigerator as you suggested and am waiting for a repairman now.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
That's alright, I was just saying that I'd try to turn the breaker off the the refrigerator, because everything will be warm by now. If you let the compressor cool down, sometimes it will start up and work for a bit again.