Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a welbilt upright freezer. Only the top section freezes

Customer Question
while the bottom is warm...
I have a welbilt upright freezer. Only the top section freezes while the bottom is warm. I notice the coil on top freezes and the coil below are warm. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/1/2012
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 5 years ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Hello and thank you for using this service.

This issue is not very good I hate to say. What has happened is the sealed system has a freon leak and some of the gas has leaked out. As more and more gas leaks out the frosty cold section of the coil will get less and less. The problem is the lines are built into the walls on the unit and it is generally not able to be repaired as a lot of times the leak could be in the wall. I would start looking for a new unit ASAP as this one will not last a lot longer eventually the compressor will stop working or all the gas will leak out. If you really love the unit and can find a company to do it there is a sealant that can be put into the sealed system to plug up and slow leaks...kinda like a "fix a flat" for refrigeraation systems. You would have around $250-300 for a company to do something like that typically.
I have this problem for more than 2 years and the problem has always been the same. Could there be 2 coils in the system and 1 is bad?
No, the only other thing that could cause a similar issue is a bad compressor. If the compressor can not draw the suction pressure down far enough...assuming it has a full charge then only part of the coils will frost and the rest will not. Then since there is not a full load on the compressor since it is not pumping down to pressure they can last longer like that, but it will never cool correctly.

Now when you say the other coils are warm the easiest way to tell if they are actually working is to lick your finger and see if it sticks to the coils. If it does it is cooling pretty good. The upper coils on a unit like that will always frost more than the lower unit, but if the lower coils are actually warm and your finger does not stick then I would say it is one of the two problems I mentioned....it can be nothing else.
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician