Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

We moved a GE profile fridge from another house where it was

Customer Question
working just fine. Left...
We moved a GE profile fridge from another house where it was working just fine. Left it for 24 hours and them plugged it in. Mow it trips the circuit. We unplugged every other appliance on the same breaker just to make sure it was not an overload...but it still tripped it. What could be the problem?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/26/2012
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 5 years ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Hello and thank you for using this service.

Do you have the model number off the unit? Thanks
Best I can tell it is TCS18PADBRBS
Ok there are a few things that could be causing the circuit to pop. First I would take off the back panel and unplug the relay off the compressor to rule out a shorted compressor or relay as this would cause enough current draw to blow the circuit breaker. Once off plug it in and see if it still blows the circuit. If it does then you have a dead short somewhere on the unit. That could be a number of places so I would start by checking the wiring going into the unit. The wiring goes up behind that long skinny panel on that unit. Sometimes corrosion happens there and will short a wire out. I would check that as well. See what you find. You will just have start unplugging components to try and narrow the short down. Just start at the compressor first.
Ok...I am going to try and do this...can you wait until I try it...may take a few minutes since I have to take the back off....
Yes just get back to me I will be in and out as well.
WE unplugged the compressor. There were three wires into it. It still pospped. We wuill go behing the long panal and look for the short. Do we reconnect the compressor wires? and do you have a blueprint for this.
We reattached the compressor wires. Then saw no other wires that appeared to be in distress. We then plugged it into a non GFI outlet and there is power, but it did not start cooling. Now what?
you can plug the compressor back in, I do not have the wiring diagram but it should be taped to the very bottom of the unit if you pull the kick panel you will see it taped up underneath.
The refiridgerator kicked in to cooling...now is there a problem that it is not on a GFI?
Relist: Other.
Need to get answer soon
Appliance Technician: Peter, Home Appliance Technician replied 5 years ago
Peter
Peter, Home Appliance Technician

Hi, my name is Peter. I am eager to help you solve your appliance problems. This refrigerator is not supposed to be plugged into a GFI outlet. It should be on a circuit by itself 20 amp preferred. It tripped the breaker because the defrost heater is not grounded and during initial power up it tests the circuit and will trip a GFI. It started cooling after the initial power up tests completed.

You may send additional questions directly to me.

If I have answered your question satisfactorily - please press the "ACCEPT" button, as this is the only way I receive pay for my knowledge and time.

Bonuses are GREATLY appreciated as well as feedback.

Thank you,

Peter

Peter
Peter, Home Appliance Technician
Peter
Peter
Peter, Home Appliance Technician