Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

i have a kenmore washer dryer combo stack unit model 417.94812301

Customer Question

i have a kenmore washer dryer combo stack unit model 417.94812301 that won't agitate and wash but by advancing the timer it will rinse and spin.I have replaced the timer and still have the same problem
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hi my name is Mike, I will be assisting you with this problem.Please allow me some time to do research and type a response to each of your posts.

The problem is either going to be with the transmission or the motor. Take the belt off and turn the main pulley both ways, if the transmission does not turn both ways then it's bad.

If the pulley does turn both ways then try running the machine with the belt off, While the machine should be agitating check to see if the motor is running, if the motor is not running then being that you replaced the timer the motor is bad, In this case the motor will need to be replaced. :(

Please remember after accepting you can come back at any time for additional assistance if needed :)

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

do you have to take the front or rear cover off to get to the motor

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
You would need to take the front panel off, To do this you should see 2 screws along the bottom lip of the front panel, remove these then pull the panel out :)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the pulley will turn both ways but the transmission only turns one way when turning pulley i am running machine now with belt off
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok if the main pulley is only turning one way that means unfortunately :( the transmission is the problem and will need to be replaced.

Click here to order the replacement part

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
after playing with this for a while i have determined that it is not the transmission or motor it is a short in the washer lid not the motor or transmission
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
after playing with this for a while i have determined that it is not the transmission or motor it is a short in the washer lid switch not the motor or transmission
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
From reading your previous posts you said the machine would spin but would not agitate, in this case the lid switch would not be the problem, the lid switch is a safety device that stops you opening the lid when in a high speed spin. Since you told me that the machine would spin that eliminated the lid switch, I can only be as correct as the information I am given.