Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

i HAVE RECENTLY DONE AN ABATEMENT IN MY BASEMENT. THE CHEMICAL

i HAVE RECENTLY DONE AN ABATEMENT IN MY BASEMENT. THE CHEMICAL THAT THEY USED TO REMOVE THE MASTIK HAS A STRONG ODOR THAT HAS GOTTEN INTO MY DRYER AND INTO MY DRIED LAUNDRY. HOW DO I GET RID OF THE ODOR IN MY DRYER AND LAUNDRY?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

this is a huge issue. how long ago did they work in the basement ? how long has the dryer been like that? unfortunately the chemical is in the blower system of the dryer and when you run the dryer the heat will magnify the chemical and make it stronger smelling and also gets it on you clothes. short of tearing the dryer apart and cleaning every little part of it the only thing that will get rid of that is time running. Sometimes that doesn't even work. when you ran the dryer for the first time you baked the chemical into the dryer , sometimes this will dissipate and sometimes not depending one the chemical.fumes can actually get baked on the inside of the dryer and its impossible to get rid of. the only thing to do is run the dryer empty for long periods of time and see if the odor dissipates.if its real bad even taking the dryer apart wont help. sorry for the bad news. wish there was a simple fix.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The work was done in the last ten days. The dryer was like this the last eight days. If I get a new dryer will the new dryer continue to use existing basement air? other parts of the basement still smell but that smell is disappating.