Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

The Ice machine on my GE profile refrigerator has stopped working.

Customer Question
Any ideas?...
The Ice machine on my GE profile refrigerator has stopped working. Any ideas?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/1/2012
Appliance Technician: Barry G., Home Appliance Technician replied 6 years ago
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Please look in the fresh food section up near the top for model/serial sticker and post the model number. I need the model to be able to see the diagrams.

If your ice maker has an off/on switch is there a light there by the switch and is it solid (not blinking) green?

Barry
There is no light.

PFCS1NJW / PFCF1NJW
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX checking to see if there was a service bulletin for your refrigerator. In the picture below does your have the ice maker switch arrowed red and where the tip of the green arrow is pointing that dark spot is not lit?

Also if your has that type of switch is your switch in the same position as the picture?

Where the tip of the pink arrow is pointing is the blades that rake the ice out of the ice maker. Are your blades in the same position as the picture?

Thanks,
Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Yes that is the one.
The red arrow is in the same position.
The green arrow is not on.
With a mirror and flashlight I see the blades (the small thin ones underneath the wider white ones, right?) and they are sort of in the same position. They seem to be slightly shifted to be partially under the larger white ones though.
Thank you for such a clear cut answer to all of those questions. That light should be lit, I need to look at the wiring diagram for your model. Just about 5 minutes please.

Barry
There is nothing preventing that ice maker from having power except maybe a loose connection at the far end of it from the freezer door. Thats the only thing between the ice maker on your model and the power cord at the wall outlet. If that connector is tight the ice maker is bad. That light is an indicator light, not only does it light up to indicate its on it will also flash codes to indicate problems. If that light has no power the ice maker will have to be replaced.

From what I can see removing that ice maker might be a tight job. There are 2 screws over the top of it and there is sometimes one underneath. They should be 1/4 inch screws. Loosen the top ones and lift the ice maker off, follow the wiring harness back to the wall. Unlock that and pull. Put the new ice maker in and turn it on. Once it is cold it will make its first cycle. The factory replacement part is WR30X10087. This is important, use only that part number, not the WR30X10093. That is the wrong ice maker for this refrigerator and as I looked around I noticed some parts stores think its the one to use. Its not.

If you have any questions at all please ask,
Barry
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Press the freezer door light switch so the lights are off. Does the small indicator light of the ice maker then come on?

Barry
You can still check that and reply, see if the ice maker light comes on when you press the light switch off for the freezer door lights. Take a look at it and see.

Barry
ah ha! yes the light does come on when I do that
Whew, I am so glad you returned.

Tape the freezer door light switch so it is off. No lights. Turn the ice maker switch off for 15 seconds or more then turn it on. At the bottom of the ice maker press that white paddle all the way in and out 3 times in less than 6 seconds. Wait a minute and watch the ice maker. What happened? You may have to try more than once. It should rotate and fill.

Barry
Should it turn it all back on and watch it?
Leave the light switch off the whole time. When you turn the ice maker switch back on is when you need to start pushing the white paddle as soon as you can. It must go all the way in and out and it needs to be done in less than 6 seconds after turning the ice maker switch on.
It is making an intermittent buzz every 3 seconds . Is it working???
It should have rotated (arrowed pink), the noise is definitely coming from the ice maker?

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Kicked out some ice?. It does not rotate. Yes the noise is from the ice maker. It just started after I did that reset thing. I think one of those lower and upper teeth are stuck together/criss crossed. I am doing some acrobatic to get in there. Hold on.
I understand, I can tell its a super tight spot. Take your time.

Barry
Ok I got the 2 teeth apart and tried the reset again, but now I hear a small click, but do not "see" any thing. Also the part with the pink arrow does not "rotate" even when I try moving it myself.
Ok I got the 2 teeth apart and tried the reset again, now i see the lower teeth going slowly up and down. Is that it!
Actually they should rotate all the way around. There might be a piece of ice in there its hanging on and backing up to try and swipe it out.

Barry
Lost my Internet connection. Ok it does rotate all the way around once and stops. It that what it is supposed to do?
Should I now just wait for new ice to be made?
Yes that is exactly what it should do. It should have water in it, I don't know if you can reach in there and see if it filled with your fingers but you might be able to.

Barry
Yes h2o is there. I think it's gonna work now that the teeth are not stuck
I'll write you back later with the verdict.
But anyway thank you for your advice.
Great. You are very welcome, thank you for the opportunity. If for some reason you find something strange please return right here. You can bookmark the page.

Have a really nice day if I don't hear from you again. The next time you have an appliance problem or question please return and ask. If you would like to reach me personally for a new different question you can save the link below.

CLICK HERE.

Barry
Barry, we did it! The ice is falling out for the first time in 10 months.
Thanks for your clear instructions and support. I will definitely call upon you again for appliance issues.
Cheers with my ice water.

Carina DeCroes
Thats great news Carina, you can have some iced tea now!

Have a nice day,
Barry