Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Jenn-Air MOdel JS42SEFXDA refrigerator will not power up. THe

Customer Question
service panel is fine, power...
Jenn-Air MOdel JS42SEFXDA refrigerator will not power up. THe service panel is fine, power is coming to the unit.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/1/2012
Appliance Technician: Barry G., Home Appliance Technician replied 5 years ago
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Do you have a volt/ohm meter to test with?.

Barry
Yes I do
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX sorry for the delay, I had to locate the wiring diagram. Is anything at all working in the refrigerator? Lights? Are the controls lit?

Barry
Nothing is working, no lights, compressor...
At the top of the refrigerator locate the cover arrowed blue in the diagram below. Under that cover is the board arrowed red.

On that board is a connector and if you look on the board it will be labled JP8. Set your meter to 120 volts ac and located wires number 3 and 6 the wire colors should be red/white and black. Do you have voltage there at that point?

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
I can't take the unit a part now, can we come back to this later?
Absolutely, save this page to your favorites and you can return when you would like. My hours are 8 to 8 eastern time. As soon as you post I will see it within a minute.

Barry
Barry, I'm back. I found the board although the pins are number 1 (white) and pin 5 (red) I have 120 volts across these two points.
Thanks,,, give me just a minute to get the diagram up again.

Barry
Great job, thanks for catching that. JP1 pins 4 and 6 is the fresh food lights. Open the fresh food door and see if you have power going out to the lights there.

Barry
Barry, it appears that all things come from this board. In it's most basic function the door light, the switch connects through this board which connects to the bulbs. I noted also that the compressor board connects through this board. In addition the control panel seems to connect through an extensive wiring harness; what do you think, the power is entering and not being distributed?

Bruce
Yes Bruce thats exactly why I picked the lights. There is nothing between the lights and that board except a switch. I kind of thought you would have checked other things, and yest you are right. The board is bad. Below is the part number, be sure to cut the power before you change it out. You might want to shop around more, you may be able to beat that price. I checked Sears already and they are $50 higher so don't go there.

Barry

Refrigerator Control Board - 67006853

Refrigerator Control Board - 67006853
$209.51
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Barry, one quick question. I also noted that the power supply board connects through this board, is it possible that the power supply board is bad and failing to supply the power to the solid state devices for operation which leads to the shutting down of the control board ?
Bruce
Thanks for asking Bruce. That power supply, is the board that drops the voltage to dc voltage. It is a larger diagram but I believe that is the board you are seeing to the right side on the diagram. The lights are direct 120 volt, and the red and white wires are also direct from the off/on power switch.

Barry
Nice work Barry ! Thank you for your help. I'll get the part and the machine should be as good as new.

Bruce
You are very welcome Bruce, thank you for the opportunity. If for some reason you find something strange please return right here. You can bookmark the page.

Have a really nice day if I don't hear from you again. The next time you have an appliance problem or question please return and ask. If you would like to reach me personally for a new different question you can save the link below.

CLICK HERE.

Barry
Barry G.
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician