Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

my freezer just stopped freezing all at once. Kenmore refrigerator.

Customer Question
my freezer just stopped freezing...
my freezer just stopped freezing all at once. Kenmore refrigerator. Refrigerator about 9 years old. what could be the problem
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Appliance
5/1/2012
Appliance Technician: Barry G., Home Appliance Technician replied 5 years ago
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Please look in the fresh food section up near the top for model/serial sticker and post the model number. I need the model to be able to see the diagrams.

Look in the freezer (even though it may be warm) at the rear inside wall, can you find a frosty spot anywhere? Sometimes you have to feel the wall as its difficult to see.

Check to see that the freezer fan is blowing steady air out of the vent in the freezer, is it?

If the freezer fan is operating and you found no frost on the rear inside wall of the freezer go around behind the unit and remove the lower panel. Touch the compressor on the top. Is the compressor hot, warm or cold and is it vibrating? And have you heard a buzz or click from back there?

Is the fan back there working as well?

Thanks,
Barry

CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
View Full Image
model # XXXXX
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX hear anything operating and are you with the refrigerator now?

Barry
I hear what sounds like a find running. I can not feel a frosty spot in the freezer. I touched the black round then in the rear of the freezer and it feels hot. I hear a clicking sound some times, cant tell where its coming from
The only part back there that will click is the overload and relay on the side of the compressor. They attached with wires to the side of the compressor, so if you follow the wires they lead right to the parts usually on the left side of the compressor if you are facing the rear. You can try replacing this part and that may get the compressor operating. If it does not its going to be very serious in which case a technician will need to be called in to repair or replace the compressor or sealed system.

Be sure to make a wire diagram or take a picture of where the wires go before you take them off. Or change the wires out one at a time.

On the compressor pictured below the parts are mounted where the red arrow is pointing in the picture. The parts pull straight off, they fit tightly but they will pull off. Change the parts and wire it and plug it in.

Do not order these parts online. The original from at least 2 sites I view have a kit and not the exact replacement for your model. A kit will work fine but sometimes you do not get something that will just be a change the part and go part. I have even seen the wire connectors be a different size. Call around to local repair and service shops in your town. Try to get exactly what you have.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
can I repair the unit by taking the inside panel off the back of the freezer. It is hard to see the unit from the rear of the freezer. Am I replacing the wires or is some kind of unit I am replacing. Can I see a picture of the part that might be bad, so that I can see if I can locate it.
I did post a picture with a red arrow pointing to the black round thing in the rear you said was hot right where the parts go. Its below again. The parts attach where the red arrow is pointing. Its at the bottom here. I can show you a picture of the part but like I said before it may or may not be the one you have, there are too many of these sold that are aftermarket parts and online parts dealers portray these as original parts and they may not be, that is why I suggested you shop locally for the part. Almost never are these the original parts.

No this has to be accessed from the rear of the refrigerator.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
graphic

Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
once you replace the relay switch, how long does it take for the compressor to start. And does the compressor suppose to make a sound like the motor is running
If the fans are operating the compressor should be on. Some compressor's you can hear and others are difficult to hear but you can feel the vibration if you touch them on the top. If everything is shut down but the temperature control is on give it 40 minutes to come on, it could be in the defrost cycle.

Barry
okay the clicking sound is gone, the fan is running, everything just seems so quiet. I will keep everything close for 40 minutes and see what happens.
It sound like you are saying that if the fan is working the compressor should be working.

I appreciate all your advise.

I will pay for your service, I just dont wont to close out the chat yet just in case I have more questions.

If this doesnt work, at least I know I tried to fix it, and I will have to call in a service repairman.
You are fine, ask all of the questions you need to ask, I completely understand. Yes if the fan is working back there the compressor should be as well. They work together. So watch the compressor and see if its operating or getting warm. Some of the compressors are really quite, it is surprising, and some are not. I am in the habit of touching them on the top to feel how hot they are so I feel for the vibration too.

Barry
the compressor was really hot, now it appears to be cooling off.
Just a couple of more questions and then I will let you go, I will wait overnight and if nothing happens I will call in tech.

Just to clarify? The compressor, if it is working correctly should be hot to the touch? Second the air coming in from the bottom vent inside the freezer should be cold or at least cool?
Yes a little cool in the freezer to start with and then cooler as it goes. The compressor should never get hotter than uncomfortable to hold your hand on.

Barry
Okay thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I have done all I can do for right now, have a good evening.

Now I will Accept Answer.
You are very welcome, thank you for the opportunity.

Have a really nice day if I don't hear from you again. The next time you have an appliance problem or question please return and ask. If you would like to reach me personally for a new different question you can save the link below.

CLICK HERE.

Barry
Barry G.
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician