John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

whirlpool dryer 7 years old does not heat up/gas

Customer Question

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.
Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com. Please remember, I do not get paid for my time and expertise until you accept. When you initially turn the dryer on, do you hear a series of clicks or only the motor starting? May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
whirlpool gas dryer model #LGR8620PWO
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. When you first start the dryer, do you hear a couple of fairly loud clicks, or just the motor starting?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am an elevator mech and experianced in troubleshooting. The dryer runs but I do not hear the click of the ignitor. I have the back panel off and have checked continuity of the sensors/therm that I see
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.
Is there continuity through number 7, 15 & 17?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what terminals do you want me to check on each components
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.
There are only two terminals on each component. Remove one lead from each and test for continuity. Make sure the dryer is unplugged.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

look like 15 does not read cont. I have 2 sensors on the heating section,both with 2 wires, 1 sensor with 2 wires and 1 with 4 wires. do you have an elect diagram

Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.
Remove the wires from number 15 and tape them together and see if the dryer then heats. Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
did not heat up when i jump wires together
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.
Did you hear any more clicks? Or just the same as before?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no clicks at all, let it run for a few minutes. you talking about the sensor that is on the bottom of dryer, close to the exhaust
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.
It is at the very bottom of the heat tube on the RH side looking from the back of the machine.