Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My washing machine developed a sudden odor on the second wash

of the day. The machine...
My washing machine developed a sudden odor on the second wash of the day. The machine seems to be working fine. The odor is sour and not a burnt smell. It permeates the basement where the machine is located and is in the clothes. The model number is XXXXX The machine often has soap residue left in the bottom when I run a heavy load.
5/1/2012
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com. Please remember, I do not get paid for my time and expertise until you accept. It is likely that you have a build up of soap residue and other "gunk" on the upper part of the inner tub that is causing the odor. You will need to lift the top of the washer to access the top tub ring and remove it. This will allow you to see inside the outer tub, number 12 in the picture. There is a release tab between the top and front panel, about 3" in from each side. Use a putty knife to push the tabs in and the top will lift up and hinge back. The top tub ring, number 13, has plastic clips that secure it in place. Remove that tub ring and you will be able to get a good look inside and see if this is the case. Let me know what you find.

Diagram for MAV6000AWW

Clicking the “ACCEPT” button will NOT close this question. Once you accept, you may refer back to this thread, AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, until your problem is resolved! Also, please leave positive feedback after you accept, this is important!
Any tips on removing the tub ring? We're afraid of breaking the tabs.
Press down on the tub ring while releasing the tabs, they are pretty strong.
We got it, but it's not particularly cruddy and the crud smells like my detergent. We've looked in the gap with a flashlight.

I still smell the odor on the wet clothes left in the machine, but not around the outside. Of course, the machine isn't running now.

Do you have any other suggestions?
Remove the drain hose from the stand pipe of your house plumbing and see if the odor may be coming from there. Let me know if you can pinpoint the area of the odor.
The drain pipe smells faintly of sewage, but it's not the same odor.

I'm beginning to think it comes from something in the workings of the machine.
Run a load of hot water only and a couple cups of chlorine bleach to kill and bacteria that may be in the pump or drain system. If you prefer not to use chlorine bleach, there are commercial cleaners available that do not use chlorine.

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Thanks for the help. The whole area smells like bleach. I'll run another load in the morning and see if I get an odor.
Lol, bacteria dead....

Keep me posted and we can proceed if necessary!
I opened the machine this morning to run a wash and the odor is back. I leaned in to the fabric softener dispenser and that stinks. I never use it. Could something be in the agitator? can the dispenser be moved for cleaning?
Relist: Other.
Technician from last night is not available this morning. Problem is unresolved
standard appliance
standard appliance, Appliance Technician

Yes you can pop the top of the agitator off which is the softener dispenser. To remove the bottom part of the agitator you need to remove the bolt on the center. Here is a parts breakdown http://lookup.bellparts.com/diagramenlarge/2/0/525481/87051 Also if it is just an odor from soap build up or mold you can run two Affresh tablets through the machine on a heavy duty cycle set on hot water. These will break up the build up and not just mask it. You can find the Affresh tablets at any store or online.

If this helps please hit accept and positive comments are always great...

Cleaning the dispenser seems to have done it, but I'll keep th tablets in mind. Thanks.

Hello

Glad I can help. If you are happy with my answer please accept my answer and positive feedback is always great. If you need further assistance please just ask.

Thank You

Kelly, Appliance Technician