How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tyler Z. Your Own Question
Tyler Z.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 81105
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Tyler Z. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I have a GE profile side-by-side refrigerator/freezer

Resolved Question:

Hello, I have a GE profile side-by-side refrigerator/freezer which leaks water from the clear water line on the back of the refrigerator because it keeps disconnecting from the fitting that directs the water to the water fill tube of the ice maker. When I reconnected it, I noted that it would disconnect when the pump sent water up the line to fill the ice-maker. Believing that an ice dam had formed, I defrosted the freezer and was able to remove the water fill tube and verified that it was unobstucted. I then reconnected the water line to the fitting and turned on the freezer. The ice maker initially functioned properly (injecting water, making ice, emptying the ice into the bin, and then refilling the ice making tray with water for another cycle) but shortly afterwards, the clear water line had disconnected again when water was sent up the line. Please advise on what could be the problem and what could be done...thanks.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

The water line is popping off on the back of the refrigerator because it's not meant to handle back pressure. The water should just flow through the water valve, up the water line, and into the icemaker. If the water line is opping off, it means that your fill tube behind the icemaker has frozen solid. Just use a hair dryer and thaw the fill tube behind the icemaker. If you want to make sure it's clear, just blow through the hose and if it's not clear then just keep thawing with the hair dryer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I concur that it has frozen solid and have already defrosted it once before. The issue is "why does it continue to freeze solid?" Until that is resolved, the problem will continue.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
If the fill tube continues to freezer up, it means that the water is coming through the fill tube quick enough or the electronic water valve isn't sealing up causing it to drip through. Check your water dispenser and make sure it's coming out at a good rate. If it's slow, then you may have bad water pressure to the refrigerator or a filter that needs to be changed if your model has a filter on it. If water is coming out strong, then you need to replace the electronic water valve at the bottom of the refrigerator because it's either allowing water to drip through slowly, or the valve isn't letting enough water through quick enough and it's freezing somewhat every time it dispenses water.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

There appears to be good water flow as I noticed no change from the previous flow rate when filling a glass of water prior to experiencing the problem of the water line popping out. FYI, it is approx 15 years an "electronic water valve" failure a common GE Profile refrigerator/freezer problem? The model number is XXXXX WW and the serial number is XXXXX

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Yes, the water valve failing is a fairly common part to fail at this age in the appliances life. Either way, below is a link to the electronic water valve you need to order and replace.


Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the link...I'll plan to order the valve. Do I need any special tools to replace the valve (e.g. soldering gun, brazing torch, crimping tools)?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Nope, no special tools at all. Just a quarter inch socket I think and a wrech to tighten the water line.

Good luck
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
One last question...where is this valve located and how do I gain access to it?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
The valve is on the back of the refrigerator. It's the part that your water line from your house is connected to so you just pull the refrigerator out to remove the valve.
Tyler Z. and 3 other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you