Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

the icemaker has ice in it but wont eject it

the icemaker has ice in...
the icemaker has ice in it but won't eject it
5/1/2012
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com. Please remember, I do not get paid for my time and expertise until you accept. If you look at the "fingers" that turn to eject the cubes, which way are they pointing?

horizontally towards the back. the ice maker unit was replaced15 months ago at a cost of$292.79...ouch!
The fingers are facing the back of the refrigerator as you look at the icemaker from the front of the refrigerator?
yes
Okay, that is actually fairly good news! The module assembly will need to be replaced, but it is not a real expensive part. It is easily replaced and available below! You must remove the icemaker to replace the module. It is removed by first removing the 1/4" screw at the bottom of the icemaker, RH side. Once that screw is removed, you will be able to slide the entire icemaker assembly out and unplug the wiring harness. Once out, remove the white plastic cover at the LH side that covers the module assembly. Remove the three brass colored screws that secures the module in place and remove the module. Install the new module and reverse disassembly procedures!

Module Assembly $51.04

Clicking the “ACCEPT” button will NOT close this question. Once you accept, you may refer back to this thread, AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, until your problem is resolved! Also, please leave positive feedback after you accept, this is important!
ok...I'm going to go do that (remove the unit)....then will get back to you...in a few minutes
Sounds good! Keep me posted!
Okay...got the unit out (there is a clip thing on the bottom on the left hand side that you have to depress, btw) and maybe not such good news, the "fingers" that you meant, but I couldn't see, but can now, are pointed forwards...I defrosted the ice that was stuck, and tried to rotate the fingers...not able to achieve that...so, are we still talking the same repair...?
Okay, probably not. Open the freezer door and hold the little flapper door on the LH side in, keeping your hand below the small hole. Does the light on the RH side flash, stay steady or not light up at all?
yes it lights
Flashing or steady?
flashing
Even with the flapper held in and your hand out of the way of the little hole?

yes

Okay, you will need to replace the Optics Kit, available below. Remove the three screws from each of the plastic pieces, the one with the flapper and the one with the light. The boards are mounted on the back of each plastic panel.

Optics Kit $75.30

alrighty then...I'm sorry for the delay....husband came home and I had to stop and explain...then I reinstalled the unit...the light goes dark when I close the flapper and hold the light mechanism in...and it was blinking 2 pause and then 1pause...that mean anything? oh, and I turned it back on and set it for optimice, just in case effing with it and defrosting it healed it...lol

Yes, it should remain steady on when the flapper is held shut. The optics are faulty. Replacing them should bring you lots of ice!

I was wrong...When I hold the flapper shut the light remains on...when I do that and hold the freezer light switch closed the light goes off goes
Okay, so that likely eliminates the Optics Kit. When you pulled the icemaker out and thawed it, did you see if the ice was a solid block and frozen around the ejector fingers at all? Have the cubes been stuck together or of normal size prior to it quitting?

The ejector fingers did not seem to be frozen into the cubes...and yes, sometimes the ice is attached in a string of 3-4 pieces once it is ejected....also the ejector fingers are now directed up...

Okay, that is great! It means it is harvesting! I suspect the ejector fingers may have been frozen. Have you replaced the filter lately?

yes, not long ago...I put my fingers into the ice cube forming tray and no water has been dispensed yet...even with the optimice feature on...would that have happened right away?

Squeeze the black rubber tube that is in the upper RH corner of the icemaker. Is it hard or can you squeeze it?
I can squeeze it...and btw, the ejector fingers went back down...
Okay, see if it fills in a few minutes.
okey dokey...just noticed that it is 3 hours later where you are...hope I'm not keeping you up...
Not at all! I am in Montana, it is 9:oo here... :-)
nice...I am in Oregon...we live in a split level house, the computer is in the family room downstairs and the kitchen is up, so everytime I check something on the fridge I am going up and down 18 stairs :O ! and I am 60....good exercise, I guess. so still no water into the icemaker...have I waited long enough? is there a reset button or something? and the ejector fingers are in the up position again....
Okay, if you have no water yet, you likely have a valve issue. With the fingers moving, we know the optics are allowing power to the module and the module is turning. The water tube (black rubber) is soft and pliable, so it is not frozen shut. If water to the door is orgy, the supply is good. So, I suspect the valve filled too much initially, freezing the ejectors, keeping them from moving. Now, after thawing, the valve is not filling. I would recommend replacing the valve. It is available at the link below.

Water Inlet Valve $42.91

I have a brother in Bend and my family (before I was born) lived in Roseburg. Oregon is a beautiful state!
we live in Salem...okay I'm thinking it must be the water inlet valve, too. so, I can download a pdf that expands and explains removal and replacement, but like a kid learning to ride a bike, I am afraid to let you go...lol...will I be able to contact you again in the event I get in a bind with that project once I have the replacement or will I have to pay $30.00 again?
You can respond back as long as you like at no extra charge! That vale replacement is a piece of cake. If you have trouble, let me know!
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Kelly, Appliance Technician