Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Fisher and Paykel Excellence 5.5 Smart Drive 9 top-loader

Customer Question
washing machine. It has stopped...
I have a Fisher and Paykel Excellence 5.5 Smart Drive 9 top-loader washing machine. It has stopped working for no clear reason. The lights are all on, yet when the start button is pressed nothing happens. We discovered how to put it in diagnostic mode (we think) by holding the wash button and 'ON'. Water comes out when pressing the wash button again and we have pressed a number of buttons in combination and a couple results have happened. The spin light comes on then disappears and we also have had the first 5 lights flashing at one stage as well even when the power was turned off.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Appliance
4/14/2012
Appliance Technician: Tech Michael, Home Appliance Technician replied 5 years ago
Tech Michael
Tech Michael, Home Appliance Technician
Welcome and thank you for choosing Just Answer!
Please provide us with the make, full model #, also how old the unit is, and any additional information about your problem so that we may be able to provide you with the best most accurate and up to date information. That will help us with our diagnosis.
Please be patient as these are technical issues and sometimes require a bit of time to sort through.
Thank you
Tech Michael
The make is a Fisher & Paykel Excellence 5.5, Smart Drive 9. I don't know the model number as we bought it second-hand or how old it is. I have attached an image to show the button layout.
Hi the problem is the main control board has had atleast 1 relay go bad on it.
The board will need to be replaced.
You can get one from Cashwell Appliance:800-277-1220, they are reliable and will ship to you the same day you call, all you will need is the model # . Tell them you need the main control board they will understand what you are in need of

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Please note, pressing the ACCEPT button does NOT close your question. It actually keeps me in the loop with you, and allows me to continue dialogue with you and allows me to set up a follow up appointment with you. At no additional cost!
I will still be here for you until the job is complete and you are satisfied!
Thank You
Tech Michael
Hi Michael,

Can you answer these questions?

What is a relay going bad and how do you know that is the problem from what I detailed?
Is the buttons I'm pressing a diagnostic mode and what does it means when the spin light is on by itself and also when I had the first 5 lights flashing?
Why did main control board just fail?

Thanks.
Hi, I would be happy to answer this.
When you get the lights like you are getting they are coming from the same source at the logic level so the lights work because they are controlled by transistors which only take the logic part from the board. And that part is working ok.
But then those signals are supposed to also pass through relays capable of driving the cycles, motors, water inlet solenoids and water pump.
But in your case the relays(s) arent passing the current, so therefore either the signal isnt making it to the relay, or the relay is shot.

Register Here

In any case, they dont sell parts for that board, so the only way to repair the machine is to replace the board.
I hope this helps clear this up for you.
Thank you\Tech Michael

Thanks for your answer.

If the relays are shot, why does water start flowing when I press the water button and if I also press the 'regular' button it starts to empty the water through the pump into the sink?

Is there are button combination for this machine that will reset the main control board back to factory default?

Again, do the other lights such as the spin light and first 5 lights flashing indicate a particular error as I read somewhere that these lights can represent different errors.

Hi I have been working on these machines since 1983, so I know what the issue is.
As for the relays and the water. The water is controlled bu the solenoids one for hot one for cold at the rear of the machine. The other issues where things arent happening that are supposed to be, is because one or more relays are no longer functioning.
It may be a relay or the driver circuitry that controls them. But, all of this is on the main board.
Thank you I hope this answers your questions?
If you need additional help or advice I will be here to help

Register Here
Tech Michael
Tech Michael, Home Appliance Technician
Hi Michael.

We decided to purchase a new machine and save ourselves the hassle of working out what was wrong.

Funny enough we managed to get one more complete cycle wash out of it which suggests that even though there's obviously something wrong with the control system that's meant to make it function... it still (on this one occasion) works.

Sorry but your answers don't provide much expertise to this particular machine and how it works and you seem to miss answering the questions I ask such as;
1. Why can we get certain buttons to make water flow and now get one random full cycle if the circuitry is shot?
2. Is there a factory reset button sequence?
3. What does the light combinations mean and do they provide a diagnostic answer?

Regards,

James.
Tech Michael
Tech Michael
Tech Michael, Home Appliance Technician