Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Maytag Bravos Quiet Series 300 LD error code. How can I fix it?

Our Maytag Bravos Quiet Series...
Our Maytag Bravos Quiet Series 300 just bellied up with a "LD" error code. How exactly do I check the hose to see if it's clogged? I'm not sure how to take it off the back of the washer without damaging something.

Any advice?
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/13/2012
kingmz
kingmz, Home Appliance Technician

kingmz :

Hello my name is Marcus, could you read me the model number. You can locate the model number if you open the door and look around the rim, it will be on a sticker that has model and serial number.

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

Hi Marcus - I'm Aileen and thanks for helping tonight.

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

MVWB 450WQO

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

Ser CY4270113

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

Type 580

kingmz :

Do you have standing water in your washer?

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

Not that I can BUT the clothes I was washing did not spin and I could hear water sloshing in the machine when I moved it away from the wall.

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

I meant not that I can see

kingmz :

Is the drain hose above the machine?

kingmz :

the hose where the water exits into the wall

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

It exits into a standard white laundry tub beside the washer

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

the top of the hose is slightly under the top of the machine

kingmz :

How tall is the laundry tub?

kingmz :

the hose has to be above the drum

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

top of tub is 4 inches below top of machine...been using that way with this machine more than 5 years

kingmz :

When you are in the drain cycle do you hear a hummin?

kingmz :

humming noise

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

I honestly don't know - I just usually set it and forget it. If you mean since the LD code appeared, well, it isn't doing anything but beeping at me.

kingmz :

Ok what I want you to do is select drain and spin and listen for a humming noise. It will probably be rear right or rear left.

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

I'll give it a try

kingmz :

ok

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

No noise except the lid lock

kingmz :

so you dont hear the pump turning on to drain the water?

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

Nope

kingmz :

You may either have a clogged or broken pump. Pull the washer out and unplug it. Tilt it back against the wall. If you look under and to the right you will see a pump with 2 hoses connected to it. Have plenty of towels or a shot vac and disconnect the hoses and make sure there isn't anything in the hoses or in the pump. Make sure everything is clear and put the hoses back on and start the unit. If you have some mechanical skill direct connect the pump to a power source and see if it runs.

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

OK - give me a few minutes!!

kingmz :

ok

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

OK - the right side clamp we were able to loosen enough to disconnect and water flowed freely!

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

We cannot get to the clamp on the left side without laying the washer on its back - is it OK to do that?

kingmz :

The drain pump is the pump you want to clean out, there are two pumps on this unit. THe one in the back right is the pump you want.

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

Cool. So, put the hose back on and plug it in to see if it's happy again?

kingmz :

lol yeah

kingmz :

did youf ind any thing inside the pumP?

kingmz :

kingmz :

inside the black parts there is an impeller, make sure nothing is restricting that impeller you can try to spin it and see if it spins.

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

No - nothing in pump but I couldn't really explore very far - there's what feels like fan blades that rotate freely.

kingmz :

Not just the pump but the hoses

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

Sorry about double entry.

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

Give me another couple to double check - two hoses??

kingmz :

You see the picture I provided, there will be two hoses connected to the pump. Also if you have a meter that can read resistance, we can check the pump and see if it's good.

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

Working on finding the other hose - the pic helps - still working and we do have a multimeter

kingmz :

Take off the harness to the pump and check for resistance 10.5-14 ohms

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

What does the harness look like?

kingmz :

you see on the picture, the white part to the left? THat is where a harness connects. It may be 2 single harness'

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

Back in a minute

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

16.0 ohm

kingmz :

may be a little high, try and run it and see.

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

OK - but still have to put the hose back on...another few minutes please

kingmz :

yeah and when you run it listen for the pump.

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

any tricks to putting the rubber back on??

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

LOL

kingmz :

what are you using to take off the clamps?

kingmz :

is it the clamp with a 1/4 or 5/16 clamp or the one you have to use pliers?

kingmz :

what you do is go back and forth but only a little you dont want to twist the hose. Use strong force and go back and forth, have the clamp on the pump and not on the hose and when you push it all the way back pull the clamp onto the hose

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

Almost there - a little trouble with the clamp as we already had it off and over the hose. The clamp is a bear!

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

new issue - we're seeing a broken wire

kingmz :

there you go, that wire is probably the problem. A bra strap more than likely, take it out

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

well, a blue wire came out of the black harness. What's a bra strap? Lol again

kingmz :

oh from the harness

kingmz :

that may have been disconnected, make sure everything connects

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

blue wire won't stay in the harness

kingmz :

does the blue wire connect to the pump?

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

the harness it connects do does (it's what we pulled out so we could test the ohms)

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

we probably pulled the blue wire out then

kingmz :

pulled it from where? The harness connects to the pump, the blue wire is from the harness, the blue wire connects to the pump

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

I'm sorry I'm not being clear.

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

The blue wire that connects to the black harness that connects to the pump. Actually there are two blue wires into that harness and one is loose.

kingmz :

connect it back in, that may have been the issue.

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

is there a way to get the wire to go in the harness?

kingmz :

The harness is plastic, you can break that off. You will see a spade. Make sure if you do that you have black electrical tape to make sure that spade wont touch anything else metal.

kingmz :

You may be have to break that harness to connect the blue part, If you showed me a picture I could help you more

kingmz :

I dont have this manual and I only see schematics and I dont have a wiring diagram

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

I'm working on a pic

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

OK - I managed to get the wire back in the harness.

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

R U still with me?

kingmz :

sorry

kingmz :

Ok turn it back on and see what happens.

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

I'll let you know asap

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

OMG - we are a humming!!

kingmz :

?

kingmz :

the pump is humming?

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

it's starting to spin too

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

Yes it was!!

kingmz :

It's running now?

kingmz :

no more LD?

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

i'm doing a happy dance!!! yes, it's running now

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

no more LD and water is coming out the proper hose into the laundry tub

kingmz :

ok good job! If you are satisfied with my answer please accept it. If you have any questions feel free to ask me.

kingmz :

Fill up the unit all the way and drain it, make sure it fully drains.

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

Can't think of any other questions - you've been a great help. Is it possible to "save" our conversation? We will fill it and drain it

kingmz :

Accept the answer and I will schedule a follow-up for tomorrow. If you still have problems we will be able to talk in there. You will need a drain pump if it continues to happen. Manufacturer Number W10217134 for that pump.

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

I will accept the answer but cannot do a follow up until evening!

kingmz :

I will set it up for tomorrow and all you do is come back here and post in it.

JACUSTOMER-ag481dmy- :

Sounds good. Thanks again and good night.

kingmz :

Good night.

kingmz
kingmz, Home Appliance Technician
Message here if you are still having problems, you will need Manufacturer Number W10217134 for that pump.
kingmz
kingmz
kingmz, Home Appliance Technician