Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Im taking apart my Kenmore front loading washing machine to replace the bellows. I e

Customer Question

I'm taking apart my Kenmore front loading washing machine to replace the bellows. I expected to find a screw behind the dispenser drawer to release the instrument panel. I've found what appears to be a pop rivet. Should I drill it out ?
Charles LUCHUN
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker just inside the door way.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hang on a sec while I get it

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
ok, just let me know and please put a decimal after the 3rd number.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I cant seem to determine if it is a(NNN) NNN-NNNN or(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
That's ok, that's close enough but you do NOT need to remove a rivet. Below is a video that shows the basic process of removing the control panel and front panel so you can remove the gasket. Honestly, I never even do that myself. I just replace the gasket through the door way and never even remove the front panel.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Where the tech in the video removed a screw I have a rivet.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
I honestly couldn't say where there is a rivet there unless someone put one in after production because I've never seen such a thing. If you can't remove the control panel then possibly just drill the rivet out and put a self tapping screw in later in it's place.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just began drilling out the "pop rivet" When the rust cleared it turned oou to be a torque headed screw. Thanks for the help C Luchun
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
crazy. Either way, glad you got it all figured out!