Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My washing machine will not fill. The water is on. If I fill

My washing machine will not...
My washing machine will not fill. The water is on. If I fill the machine manually, it will wash and drain.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/31/2012
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

does this happen in both cold and hot water settings ?
Yes. And water works on both lines (i.e., if I disconnect the lines). In the past when the automatic cutoff lines had tripped, I could hear the machine trying to fill (a switch). I don't here that now when I try to start the washer.
you have flood safe hoses on this ?
Yes. But that does not seem to be the problem (it has been in the past), but the switch to fill does not seem to be coming on.

okay, do you have a volt meter?

No. Should I get one?
well to tell for sure you would need to have a volt mater and check for power going to the valve. do you have an old set of hoses you could change the flood safe ones with to test this?
I don't have the old hoses, but I just tried reconnecting both hot and cold and still nothing started (including no sound of the valve opening). I'm pretty sure it is not the water hoses. I can go to the store and get an inexpensive volt meter, or is there a part that is less expensive and worth trying first?
well you should test the valve for power. do this by putting the machine on fill and take your meter and test for power on the solenoids, the part is around $61.00 so testing it first is a good idea.
Ok. I got a volt meter. How do I access the valve?
sorry had to step out, on the back of the washer where the hoses connect there should be a plate thats holding the valve in, there will be one screw to remove and pull the plate out valve and all. unplug the machine while doing this part to make sure you don't short anything out. once you have it clear and can reach the plugs to test then plug the machine in and start it while testing the voltage to the valve, you should get 120 volts if so replace the valve.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
No problem. So I turned it on. I checked for voltage across both valves. It did not read anything. So I guess it's not getting power?

thats correct.did you test on just one coil on the valve or across from one to the other ? you need to test one coil at a time.

I checked one coil, + and - on each side. (I also checked the coils opposite from each other just in case I was checking the wrong thing.
Relist: Other.
We were communicating over the day and I think he is offline. I would just like to resolve this issue this weekend. I was satisfied with Bryan's help.
Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician

Hi, my name isXXXXX am hoping that I will be able to help you with your problem today..

Brian should be online shortly, if you would like to wait for him... He is usually here by 9:00

I guess I can wait until Bryan until 9 or so and then if he is not around today, I would really appreciate your help.

No problem, If he is not here by 9:00 contact me on this post ad I will continue with you and your problem...

I think I just hit the wrong button with the last post, the satisfied with answer instead of reply. Does that change things? I have not used this web site before.

Don't worry about it right now... We will still help you...

thanks
You have a voltage meter with you right now?
Yes
Do you know how to remove the front of the machine?
Not really. Front of washer or front of control panel?
Front of the washer, there should be 2 screws that you remove and the front will come off
Ok. Got it off
The water valve is located in the back you should be able to see it on the left side if I remeber correctly...
Yes. I see it. I had pulled the valve out from the back yesterday and checked for voltage across the valve when the machine was on. There was none.

Okay then you need to replace the lid switch with part number 12001514, there is a fuse inside the switch that is blown, and causing the valve not to operate, sometimes replacing just the fuse fixes it however it is better to replace the entire unit,.. You can order the parts you need from the following places, http://www.apwagner.com/, http://www.repairclinic.com/, http://www.searspartsdirect.com/, or http://www.partstore.com/, all of these places offer easy returns and reasonable prices for their items.

Your acceptance of my answer if helpful to you, requires that you press the GREEN ACCEPT button, this will allow me to get credit for helping you today, The deposit you paid in the beginning is just that and does not transfer to any experts until you press it...

I cannot know everything since I am not there with you to see all the conditions that the appliance we are talking about,

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Just to check, I am able to get the machine to wash by filling it manually with water. When I do that and close the lid, it washes normally (spins and drains). Is that being monitored by a different lid switch? Also, where is the lid switch and fuse?

Looking at the wiring diagram the fuse is inline with the water valve and if blown will not fill...

not sure I completely follow the diagram. So if the lid fuse was or lid switch was blown, it still would complete the water cycle when the lid was closed?
According to the diagram it is inline with the water valve..
OK. Where is the valve?
You said you check the valve yesterday where you hook up the water line to the machine,
Yes. But where is the lid valve. That is what I am supposed to replace, right? The water valve is not getting power
Not the valve it is a swtch if you look at the one picture I sent. it is located at the back of the lid of the washing machine...
Sorry. I missed that. I order and replace. Hope that works. Thanks for your help!

Hope it work also, be sure to press the accept button for helping you today...

I replaced the lid switch and the machine will still not fill
Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Tech
Thank you for using Just Answer. I will be glad to assist you in your answer. Think about safety when doing repairs, electric, water, gas, ect. Find the white wire going from the water valve. There whould be an inline fuse on that wire between the vavle and the pressure switch. Unplug the washer and check that fuse to see if it is blown. If so replace the fuse. You can get the fuse at searspartsdirect.com, just enter the model# XXXXX do a model# XXXXX type in part needed, or look it up, diagrams are very helpful too to get around on your machine better.
Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Tech
I replaced the fuse a few months ago and the machine was working well. However, the fuse blew again today and now contiues to blow (tried 4 times). Can you help me work on this new problem? Matt
Look for bad spots on the wiring from the water valve, to the pressure switch. If the wiring looks good, then the water valve would be your best culprit to replace. The valve is working, but may be pulling too much current, blowing the fuse. The part# is 22001274, cost is about $58. You can get the part at reparclinic.com, or your local appliance parts dealer. I hope this information helps you. The issue is, the wiring is either drawing too much current, or is shorting soemwhere. If the wiring looks good, I believe the valve would be the problem.
Ok, thanks. I'll order that. While I was changing the fuse I think I caused another problem. I forgot to flip the breaker switch and got a little shock. Now the washer won't start even when it is full of water. That used to not be a problem, if the water was high enough, it would run the agitation and drain if I closed the lid. Now I have a wash full of water and the machine won't respond at all. Is there another fuse that I might have blown up stream of the valve switch? Thanks
I am going to opt out in order to get you some better assistance on this situation. I am not sure on this one, and don't want to give you wrong information. I hope a another expert will help you on this problem, and good luck!
Jason
Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Tech