Peter
Peter, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years in the home appliance service and parts industry.
27890704

I have a GE HydroWave top loading washing machine model WJRR4170G0WW.

I have a GE HydroWave top loading washing machine model WJRR4170G0WW. I have had to reset it sever times over the last year (unplug - open and close lid six times in 12 seconds). However, now I think the "infusor" function is broken. The clothes never "turn under" and the water loudly swishes around the outside of the clothes near the barrel wall. Is this an expensive fix or should I dump this dang loser of a washing machine?

Peter :

Hi, my name isXXXXX am eager to help you solve your appliance problems. Do you have the front off of the washer?

Customer:

No -- it is currently full of clothes and water

Customer:

Do I need to take the front off the machine?

Peter :

Yes

Customer:

Okay, should I just unplug it? Any other precautions? I'm somewhat handy (but my husband is not). Can you give me some idea how to take the front off the machine? Are there just screws?

Peter :

Use a putty knife, push it in between the top and front panel about 3 inches in from each side and the front panel will pop loose at the top and tilt away.

Customer:

okay -- done

Peter :

Do you have the front off?

Customer:

yes

Peter :

Look at the motor in the front center at the bottom. With the washer plugged in look below the top silver plate at the circuit board, right side halfway back. You should see a flashing green light.

Customer:

okay -- let me plug it back in

Peter :

It will flash so many times then a 1 second pause then reflash the same number of times. How many times does it flash?

Customer:

4

Customer:

yep -- 4 times

Peter :

You have a defective transmission and possibly a defective motor.

Customer:

Oh jeez

Customer:

better to buy a new machine then, eh?

Peter :

There is a number on top of the motor that I need to verify if it needs to be replaced.

Customer:

okay

Peter :

Let me check the price of a transmission. be right back

Customer:

okay

Peter :

transmission is 130.00 and motor is 250.00 plus labor and tax.

Customer:

Oddly, it does run through all the cycles correctly, and the center agitator turns to move the clothes around, but the center agitator doesn't seem to "back-wind" it's self correctly - mostly turns only in one direction with a slight reverse rotate before each turn. Does this still mean I may need a new motor?

Peter :

The transmission is controlled by that circuit board on the motor. There is a # XXXXX starts with 175 on top of the silver plate on the motor, If you can get me that # XXXXX can check to see if it needs to be replaced.

Customer:

okay

Customer:

They don't make it easy to see do they. However, I am certain it is: TYCO Part No.(NNN) NNN-NNNN6

Peter :

It will be on the raised portion and start with "175". If it is any of these the motor needs to be replaced also.

175D5106G014

175D5106G015

175D5106G016

175D5106G026

175D5106G027

175D5106G028

175D5106G029

175D5106G030

175D5106G031

Peter :

You may send additional questions directly to me.

If I have answered your question satisfactorily - please press the "ACCEPT" button, as this is the only way I receive pay for my knowledge and time.
Bonuses are GREATLY appreciated as well as feedback.

Thank you,

Peter

Customer:

It was on the front of the motor 175D5106G007

Customer:

Are you still there? The number does not correspond to any you sent me above

Peter :

Then you should not need to replace the motor, just the transmission.

Peter :

Most techs are going to charge $150.00 to change the transmission. it takes 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Customer:

Does that include labor or just the part?

Peter :

labor only, part is $130.00 on average.

Customer:

Yikes...okay. Craigslist here I come. Thanks for your time, I really appreciate it.

Peter :

You are welcome. Please push the "accept" button. Thank you. Peter