Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

What does the error code F21 mean?

The meaning of the error code and the corrective actions are listed below.

F21

LONG DRAIN
If the drain time exceeds 8 minutes the water valves turn off.
NOTES:
After 4 minutes the “Sd” error will be displayed, then 4 minutes later the “F/21” error code will be displayed.
Press PAUSE/CANCEL two times to clear the display.

1. Check the drain hose and make sure it is not plugged or kinked.
2. Unplug washer or disconnect power.
3. Check the electrical connections at the pump and make sure the pump is running.
4. Check the drain pump filter for foreign objects.
5. Plug in washer or reconnect power.
6. If the above does not correct the problem, go to step 7.
7. Unplug washer or disconnect power.
8. Replace the pump.

The likely problem is either a blocked drain filter or a bad pump.

Take the panel out from under the door by removing the 3 screws along the bottom lip .

graphic

Behind the panel you will see the pump and built into the pump you will see the drain filter. Unscrew the drain filter and pull it out (have some towels handy to mop up the water)

Clean the drain filter.

graphic

Once clear try the machine again, if you have the same problem replace the drain pump.

Read full interaction below »

My whirlpool duet HT washer is showing an f21 fault code. I also can detect a faint odor that smells electrical. Is this thing shot?

3/19/2012
Appliance Technician: Mike, Home Appliance Technician replied 5 years ago
Mike, Home Appliance Technician

F21

LONG DRAIN
NOTES:

2. Unplug washer or disconnect power.
5. Plug in washer or reconnect power.
7. Unplug washer or disconnect power.
8. Replace the pump.

graphic

Clean the drain filter.

graphic

Mike, Home Appliance Technician

I cleaned the filter and tried a spin cycle which usually lasts 11 minutes or so. Again, at the 6-minute mark it stopped and the sud display came on. Is this indicative of needing a new pump motor? If so, is it the small housing with the two black electrical leads connected to it?

Possibly but it could also be a problem with the pressure switch. Take the top off the machine, then toward the back you will see the switch, it has a small plastic tube attached, Pull the plastic tube off and blow into the tube in order to clear any gunk out of the tube, re attach the tube then try the machine again.

I am attempting to remove the pump motor. How does it release? I unplugged it and it appears to be a small box on top of a cylinder. Is the motor only the small box or does the entire cylinder need to come out?

Should be screwed to the floor of the washer, loosen the screws then pull it out.
Mike, Home Appliance Technician