John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

How do you replace a Sump Filter and Cover on a GE dishwasher

Customer Question

How do you replace a Sump Filter and Cover on a GE dishwasher Model # XXXXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

Hi Im John I will help you with the sump cover removal.

Remove the spray arm by pushing down and turning the arm counter clockwise then squeeze the cover to remove the screen .

If you require more assistance let me know please.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have just tried that but the arm for the water to go to the top shelve is in the way. Do I have to remove this as well ? and if so how do I do this?

I got the back arm off that leads to the top shelf, pulled off the cover and now cannot get the filter out. It moves when I wiggle it but is it screwed in someplace? How can I pull it out?
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

Is it the number 506 your having a problem with ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No it is not 506 I got that off and cleaned it out. Also I removed the arm that sends the water to the upper shelf Part #585 that is how I got 506 out. It is part #508 the filter I am having trouble with. It wiggles but does not come up. Is it screwed in someplace or can I just yank it up?
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

On this breakdown its number 505 and you have to remove the two clamps number 452 and 330, why do you want to remove the sump.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hello John, Let's try this again. I just get that your answer was bloked.

What I have done so far is to remove part #585 the pipe that transfers the water to the upper level. I have also removed part # 506 the cover and cleaned it out. I was thinking of removing Part #508 the filter but it is just filled with water which I took out and I do not know if removing it would help at all. It just jiggles around and I was wondering if it was screwed down or just a clip somewhere. Do I really need to pull it out and if so How?

Just received your answer. The reason I want to remove the sump is that the water will not drain from the dishwasher and one of the answers was to replace the sump filter and cover, or at least clean it. So I am. But now that I see what the sump filter is and whare I do not think I have to. Just clean the cover? If not the next thing I was told to try was to replace the Drain Pump part #325 which would be expensive. I have allready replaced Part #328 the RED rubber valve seal that says "OUT" as it was broken. That was the original reason I thought it was for not draining, but it is not. Am I on the right PATH??

Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

Is the pump motor going in the drain cycle if its not the impeller in the pump could be blocked with debris.

You don't have to do anything else but check the water pump .

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I think the pump motor IS going but not sure?

When it was working you could hear the water flow down the exit pipe and into the drain.

How do I check the water pump to see if the impeller is bloked with debris?

Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
said you replaced the red flapper valve at the water pump , take the pump out and hook it up to 120 volts if it starts up and the impeller isn't broken it s ok.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will give it a shot in the am. thankyou for your help I hope that I will not need it again for this appliance
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you John,

This is the page where they said that it could be the Sump Filter and Cover, but they did not give instructions on how to remove the cover so that is why I got in touch with Just answer.

Thank you for all your help

Have a good night

Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Your welcome you have a great night as well.