Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Whirlpool Gold side by side Model #GS6SHEXNS00 that

Customer Question
has stopped making ice....
I have a Whirlpool Gold side by side Model #GS6SHEXNS00 that has stopped making ice. I have gone through the trouble shooting in the manual with no luck. There is no ice stuck in the tray, the infrared trigger isn't messed up, the freezer seems to be cold enough. The only thing I haven't been able to confirm is if the freezer water line is jammed. The refridgerator water line works fine so I know water is getting to the unit. Any thoughts?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/3/2012
Appliance Technician: Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician replied 5 years ago
Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician

Tim Alan :

Hi my name isXXXXX will try and help you.

Tim Alan :

Do you know if the ice maker is cycling?

Tim Alan :

When the ice maker cycles the teeth or combs in the middle will rotate completely around?

Tim Alan :

Is it cycling and just not getting any water?

You can initiate an ice maker cycle by unplugging the unit and waiting for 5 minutes, plug it back in and wait another 3.5 minutes then open the freezer door and view what the ice maker is doing.

So what are the different things that the ice maker might be doing? What am I looking for?

There is a control inside the freezer on the right side is a blinking light and on the other side is a receiver, between those 2 parts are what controls the ice maker. When you open the door the light should blink, on the opposite side is a flapper close the flapper and make sure nothing is obstructing the beam from the light on the right side, the light should go steady. Now when the ice maker cycles you can see the rotating arm moving. Depending on what happens with the control is what will tell me which component has failed. So observe what the light does and also the ice maker.
I plugged it back in and it doesn't seem to be doing anything.
Is the light blinking is it blank? Did you wait 3.5 minutes before you opened the door?
Yes the red infra red light is blinking.
Sounds like the control is ok and the ice maker is dead. The ice maker should have begun a cycle. Look inside the ice maker does it have ice in it or is it dry? The rotating arm is it sticking straight up or is it at a roughly 3 o"clock position?
The tray is dry and the rotating arm is at roughly a 1:00 position if you are looking at it from the left side of the arm. In other words, the arm appears to be pointing directly over my head when looking at it straight on.
Ok thank you, XXXXX XXXXX the ice maker, the repair is to replace the ice maker. This is the part number.

Icemaker

PART NUMBER:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/strong>

Not hard to replace, under the ice maker on either side it slides onto bracket, there is a tap you push up on with a small screw driver and pull it forward and also on the right hand side there is a cover and underneath is a 1/4 inch hex head screw that needs to be removed and the cover taken off, the whole assy will slide right out. Then unbolt the ice maker from it's mount the screws are on the bottom.

Thanks. Do you happen to know:

I have been getting charged an amount from JustAnswer every month on my credit card. I thought that this allowed me 5 questions per month but, when I logged in to ask you this question today, it asked me for my card information. I tried to call customer service but they are closed on Saturdays. Any ideas?

No I really can't answer any question concerning your account. There is a help menu that may give you more information and you can also go into your profile and view your account information there also.
If you need further assistance just let me know and please remember to leave a comment after pressing the accept button, thank you and have a great weekend.
Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Thanks!
Your welcome and thank you.
Tim Alan
Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician