Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Ref.Kenmore Elite microwave over the cooker type. model#

Customer Question
Ref.Kenmore Elite microwave 'over the...
Ref.Kenmore Elite microwave 'over the cooker' type.
model# XXXXX serial# XXXXX manufactured June 2004.
Part # XXXXX cooktop light covers, plastic about 4" square,under the microwave, is 3550W2L001 as supplied to me by Sears parts in Etobicoke Ontario. These covers have a small lug projection that is too wide to fit into the microwave body recess. I suppose I could cut the projection to be a bit narrower. ( Over the phone, when ordering, I was given the #3550W1A171A ). The covers supplied do attach with the single screw but stand about 1/8" proud at the front end because the lug does not go in. Which is the correct part# XXXXX my microwave and is it still available?
The reason for changing the covers is that they burnt/melted after continual use with the lights switched on. The bulbs are Aglaia 120v 20w two single pin. Do you recommend a lower wattage substitute. If so what would be the part# ?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Appliance
3/3/2012
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 6 years ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

Appliance Guru :

hello

Customer:

Are you there?

Appliance Guru :

yes hello

Appliance Guru :

Yes you porbably should switch to a 10w bulb that can happen with the 20w bulbs.

Appliance Guru :

Is the bulb a two pin halogen

Customer:

Yes

Appliance Guru :

Ok you can get the exact same one at home depot or lowes or any hardware store. Just bring in the 20w you have and get the 10w instead. That is cheaper than trying to get one through an appliance supplier

Appliance Guru :

That is a very common bulb

Customer:

OK Thanks.

Customer:

What about the bulb cover?

Appliance Guru :

Kenmore microwaves are difficult now to get any parts for, there are no cross references for kenmore. Do you have the model number

Appliance Guru :

It did not show up

Customer:

Model is 767(which indicates an LG Product I think)8529300

Appliance Guru :

Yes that explains everything....

Appliance Guru :

Hang on one sec

Appliance Guru :

Yes that number they gave you is all you are going to be able to get for a cover. LG IS TERRIBLE FOR PARTS...hence Sears's demise....they cut their own throats when they went to LG for a supplier and are paying for it everyday.

Appliance Guru :

You will have to modify the cover that is about all you can do

Customer:

OK. Many thanks,I'll have to do some careful cutting!

Customer:

I'll press Accept now.

Appliance Guru :

Yes just be careful and get a 10w bulb Thanks

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician